Can an owner of a owner occupied condo have a roommate when is no longer lives in the condo?

Asked by pmyers9, Chicago, IL Tue Apr 30, 2013

The owner lives with his new wife in her place however still states his residence is his condo address and has a roommate knowing full well and stating at the last condo meeting that he no longer lives there and is getting married know we are a owner occupied association

Answers

5
Christina Ha…, Other Pro, Morristown, TN
Thu May 2, 2013
As Bill mentioned you will have to read your Condo regulations. I'd be careful what you state at any meetings because the Condo association can begin foreclosure proceedings if you aren't in compliance with the regulations.

Best of Luck;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit Repair Specialist at
Everlasting Credit Repair
Ex-Mortgage Broker of more than 10 years
http://www.everlastingcredit.com

We also have a DIY service.
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Tue Apr 30, 2013
The condo bylaws and declarations should outline whether this is allowed or not.
Mike Opyd, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Apr 30, 2013
Sounds like he is not using the place as an investment. The association would need to address this with him. Id reach out to the HOA about this.
Josh Marks, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Chicago, IL
Tue Apr 30, 2013
I would consult the association. Would this be any different if the resident traveled extensively, and had a roomate?
I am on the board and we spent a lot of money making our condos owner occupied, which this particular owner is full aware of the rules. He also stated at the last condo meeting that he is getting married and doesn't live there any longer and wanted to rent it to a friend
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013
Cindy Wilson, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Apr 30, 2013
This is a legal matter, if you are knowingly violating the rules of your condo association. Without knowing the specifics of your location and building, I advise that you consult your real estate attorney. We can't provide legal advice on this site. But be careful.