Can a new home seller(Lennar) make you close on a new home that has problems with the brand new upgraded cabinets?

Asked by pili0516, Miami, FL Fri Sep 13, 2013

More specifically, one of the cabinet panels on the side, is torn(almost like a hole) as if someone hit it with something, also the sink cabinet on the bottom has bubbling from leaving the kitchen window open(one of the workers left the kitchen window open) and rain water was sitting on them until I discovered it myself on a day I stopped at the house. The counter top was not in place so the water got into the cabinet and was sitting on the bottom panel when I found it. I dried it but the damage was done. Please someone let me know what my rights are as a new homebuyer. Any experience on this with Lennar?

Answers

18
pili0516, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Mon Sep 16, 2013
I'm going to give them a little time.
The closing is for mid October.
I am optimistic they will take care of it.
I still have not done an official walk through. I saw the problem when I stopped by the house and I emailed the project manager so they have plenty of time to address it before the closing.
I think cabinet problems are big issues and they made need more time.
These cabinets are upgraded cabinets so we paid extra for them. That's why it hurts even more. Thank you everyone.
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Fri Sep 13, 2013
Did you use a buyer's agent? They should be advising you on what to do in this situation.

There is a contract. Someone needs to read the contract and see what it says. If you don't have an agent, you probably should contact a lawyer.
Thanked
I may contact a lawyer but i want to try to these things amicably.
Flag Fri Sep 13, 2013
Danielle Sha…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Fri Sep 13, 2013
Have you spoken with your builder rep about this? If so & they will not make repairs it would be best to contact an attorney.
I sent them an email a week ago but the problems with the cabinets have not been rectified. Do you know how many walk thrus are done in a new home?
Flag Fri Sep 13, 2013
Kevin and Ju…, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Wed Sep 18, 2013
Lennar has always been good at handling these types of items here in southern CA - I expect they will do so in FL also - Contact the regional office if you have add'l problems
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Mon Sep 16, 2013
At closing; demand that monies be held in escrow in order to have the funds available to make the repairs in the event that the builder fails to do so in a timely manner. A large and respectable developer like LENNAR want "satisfied" customers and will no doubt make sure that you too are satisfied.

≈ WATERWAY REALTY,REALTORS®
Mott Marvin Kornicki ~ FLORIDA ~ REALTORS®
http://t.co/C8vvX4uf via @SoBeLive | @WaterWayRealty
≈ @EmceeSLIM ≈ Media Relations ≈
dadecustomer…, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Mon Sep 16, 2013
Good morning pili0516,

Have you tried reaching the Lennar SE Florida Division directly. You may send them an email to the below email address and some one from their Customer Care department will contact you. Please include your contact information.

" DadeCustomerCare@lennar.com "
Antonio Vega…, Agent, Saint Cloud, FL
Mon Sep 16, 2013
In my experience with Lennar and other builders, there will be a final walkthrough at which you will make a list of all things not to your satisfaction. It gets signed by you and the builder's rep. Things in the list get fixed often before closing, or if found to close to closing then within the next week or two. Lennar being one of the strongest builders in the nation will not play games when it comes to providing total client satisfaction at closing and excellent warranty service for the following year.
pili0516, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Sun Sep 15, 2013
I am going to email my real estate agent tomorrow again Is not that they are refusing but they said they were going to go take a look at the home and get back to me and it has been a week and I haven't heard anything and nothing has been rectified as of today. I just do not want to close with issues such as damaged cabinets due to negligence. Thank you everyone.
Hopefully, the great experience the realtor had with Lennar in Doral will be the same for me.
Margaret Has…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sun Sep 15, 2013
I worked in sales for a new home builder for many years, though not Lennar. From the sound of your question, it seems like they are refusing to fix the problem before you close. Typically, you have to sign off on the "Walk-through form" before closing. You can usually write on the form that the cabinets need repair, and they will put it on a "Warranty" request form, to be fixed after closing. A large builder like Lennar will fix problems like this. I wouldn't be too worried. But of course you can try to force this issue with the sales manager before you close. Good luck.
pili0516, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Sat Sep 14, 2013
Thank you for all your advice.
Aaron Sims, , Birmingham, AL
Sat Sep 14, 2013
I saw below that you had an agent and they said to keep them posted. Is this agent representing YOU only? Or is this agent representing the builder and helped you put the offer in? If the agent is REPRESENTING YOU, you need to contact them, tell them what you want fixed and tell them it is their job to handle it and let you know what is going on.
I admit, I'm not a party ot the transaction and have not seen the contract, but if she is YOUR agent, she works for YOU and should be handling these issues (in my opinion).
You may always go to her Broker if you are not satisfied. If she isn't your agent, then you are not being represented except by yourself.

Best of Luck!
Aaron Sims
Yanoska Diaz, Agent, Miami, FL
Sat Sep 14, 2013
I am truly sorry to hear that your agent is not standing by you on this situation when it is as easy as contacting the sales manager at Lennar and making the demand. Based on my recent experience I see no reason why they would not take care of this situation.
Agustin Cant…, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Sat Sep 14, 2013
I work with several developers though not Lennar, but I have seen their contract and it is pretty ironclad. That said those items should be repaired asap. The best advice I can give you is to get an attorney right away if they refuse.
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Sat Sep 14, 2013
Talk to the sales rep who sold you the home. Usually there is a construction foreman you can speak with as well. Lennar does have a home warranty so it definitely should be covered as far as getting repaired. Sometimes they have to order the cabinet replacements and may not be able to do it right away. Get it in writing that they will replace it if they make you close before the repairs are done. They should also do a walk through with you before closing and that item should be on the walk through sheet. Many times a builder will make the repairs after closing. Best of luck to you!

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
http://www.tammyhayes.remax-florida.com/
pili0516, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Fri Sep 13, 2013
Thank you to everyone for their input.
pili0516, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Fri Sep 13, 2013
Yes, I used a real estate agent and I emailed her a copy of my email to Lennar and all she replied is to keep her posted. Didn't offer to help me at all with this.
Yanoska Diaz, Agent, Miami, FL
Fri Sep 13, 2013
On a personal experience, recently closed a brand new home in Doral, Lennar offers 2 walk-through prior to closing. On our first walk-through I addressed on behalf of the Buyer over a dozen issues, everything was documented and signed. I came back a week later with my signed copy of the issues, everything had been fixed and to my satisfaction. James Loftis asked the question and I will ask again, did another Real Estate agent (not Lennar's) represented you on the purchase?

I was delighted with my recent experience.
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Fri Sep 13, 2013
Lennar is a repuitable company. Make sure you are addressing the right person with your emails. if your local rep is not responsive, go higher. I am sure they will take care of this, but you also need to be pro-active, which you are doing. Read your contract. If you don't understand it, get your Realtor or the sales manager at Lennar to expain it. there is usually a way to handle disputes within the contract.