Can a manufactured home which is currently in a "trailer park" be purchased and moved to another property?

Asked by Jax, 95472 Fri Nov 25, 2011

Answers

5
Sharon Hawthorne’s answer
Sharon Hawth…, Agent, Sebastopol, CA
Thu Jun 14, 2012
Can it? Yes. But my question to you would be, "why would you want to? " "What are you hoping to accomplish by such a tactic" A friend of my mother's did just such a thing once, because she loved her home so much but preferred another park. She never stopped regretting that she did so. It just did not go back together as securely as before. Also, if you are planning to move it to another park you should check first to make sure that they will accept it.
Michaela Kal…, Agent, Sebastopol, CA
Tue Dec 13, 2011
This is going to depend on the park that the home is in, and the regulations that they have. There are a lot of manufactured home "dealers" near here that a new home could be purchased from. They should offer financing and leads on movers, and many other necessary services.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sat Nov 26, 2011
No.

Manufactured homes aren't designed/constructed to be moved. (Mobile homes technically are, but even with mobiles, it really doesn't make much sense in most cases.)

Recognize, too, that the cost would likely be prohibitive.

Finally, the park management might have to approve such an action (even though you'd own the home).

You can buy used mobile homes which can be transported to your property. But it's really not practical with a manufactured home.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sat Nov 26, 2011
I can understand you asking this question;
We owned a Triple-Wide many years ago, and it was the most luxurious, nicest home we have ever had.
The resale on Mobile homes is very low.
But, you can buy a new one for a very reasonable price and they will move it whereever you want.
With the market where it is, if you have a lot, this may be a very good idea.

Good luck and may God bless
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Sat Nov 26, 2011
It can, technically but I am not sure it's such a good idea. Even single family, stick built homes can be picked up off their foundations and moved, but the jostling and bumping is not good for the structural integrity of the home. Same holds true of manufactured homes and mobile homes, yes they can be moved, they were obviously moved INTO the trailer park, but you need to be very careful about moving them, how far to move them, and the route you would take to avoid potential damage.

I would talk to the person who would be moving the home to discuss these issues, to get their input as to the advisability of making the move and even to see if there is any insurance to cover any damage if there were an accident or something.