Home Buying in Butler>Question Details

V.dandrea, Home Buyer in North Versailles, PA

Can a listing/selling agent tell their buyer my highest and best offer when I am using another agent? If not can you tell me why.

Asked by V.dandrea, North Versailles, PA Fri Sep 2, 2011

Listing agent CAN do this if the seller tells him/her to do it. They cannot do it without permission from seller.
Sorry i didnt make it clear this agent also has a person making a bid. Can they tell the person my number so they can beat my highest offer. If so what can i do.
I agree with Tim: Your question is confusing. However . . .

The listing agent represents the seller. He/she does not represent the buyer. So the listing agent CAN say "Give me your highest and best offer."

The listing agent CAN NOT say: "The sellers will accept an offer of $x." (Unless the sellers have specifically authorized the listing agent to reveal that information, which is highly unlikely.)

The reason, again, is that the listing agent is representing the seller. It's his/her job to get the best deal for the seller. His/her fiduciary responsibility is to the seller. That's why the listing agent can't/shouldn't reveal a specific number.

Since you say you're using another agent, you should be working through YOUR agent, not communicating with the listing agent.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
You should only be working with an agent who represents YOU. If that's the case and your agent shared your information with the listing agent, then you need to go to your agent's broker and complain.
I am confused, who are you in the deal ? Are you saying that you are also a potential buyer and your agent has given an offer to the listing agent who then told their (the listing agents) buyer what you offered? Is that the scenario?

If not please explain a little more what is going on and who you are in the deal.