Can a fence be put up on the single family homes or townhomes? Or.. can an electric fence be installed?

Asked by susanmauro606, Hamburg, NJ Thu Jan 31, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


lewisremingt…, Home Owner, Rochester, NY
Mon Apr 13, 2015
I would recommend asking your realtor or calling a fence contractor and asking them what the restrictions are. They're going to know better than anyone what is and isn't allowed. You will want to make sure the contractor is properly licensed though.
0 votes
Nina Fradl C…, Agent, Sparta, NJ
Fri Feb 1, 2013
To my knowledge, none of the townhome communities in Hamburg allow fences. In fact, I can't think of any townhome/condominiumdevelopment in ANY town, that does. The land is owned in common and used in common. Fences imply sole ownership of the fenced area -- not likely in these communities. Electric fences for your pets? I think the same concept applies. In these communities, pets are not permitted outside without being attended by their owner (usually, on a leash).

Single family homes are a different matter. Here's the URL for the Borough of Hamburg ordinances: . If you search under the word "fences" you'll find all the references to same in the code. Questions regarding interpretation should be directe to Doreen Schott 973-827-9230 X13. Questions regarding zoning ordinances please contact Sid Crum 973-600-0111,

Sounds like you are interested in buying a home in Hamburg, but haven't decided which property type makes most sense for you. That's just one of the factors to consider when buying a home. If you aren't working with an agent yet, I'd be happy to assist you in making those determinations and finding just the right home for you.

Nina Fradl
Realty Executives
54 Woodport Rd
Sparta, NJ 07871
cell: 973-262-5962
office: 973-729-7141 x1506
0 votes
I was going to say the same thing. Townhouses generally don't allow personal fences, especially if it's for a tenant's pet. If you buy a single-family home, though, you can do what you like on the property. If you have a pet that needs the run of the yard, then I'd recommend a single-family house with a fence.
Flag Tue Apr 14, 2015
Yes, I agree with Nina. I have never seen a fence in a townhome/condominium development. The only fences are ones around the complex as a whole, but do not provide complete enclosure. If you really have that dream of having a white picket fence, look up the neighborhood codes before moving in.
Flag Mon Jan 19, 2015
Andrew Tisel…, Agent, clifton, NJ
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Single family home check with your town on the regulations. they regulate the size of the fence and where on the front of the property it is allowed. Usually the company installing the fence will know what you can and cannot do. and will take care of any permits. For a townhome check with the association.
0 votes
Brian Diehl, Agent, Verona, NJ
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Hello Susan,
It sounds like there is a Home Owners Association involved here, and if that is the case you must contact them. If there is no HOA then you should contact the Building Department in your town. Sometimes a survey is required before a fence is installed.
Whenever you are putting anything along the property line, like a fence, it is wise to know exactly where the line is.
If by an electric fence you mean an invisible fence for your dog that would also fall into the same category.
The last thing you want is an upset neighbor or code violations when you eventually sell the property. The real headache begins when you are forced to correct any problems after the fence is installed.
Hope you don't get fenced in!

Brian Diehl
Prudential New Jersey Properties
Mobile: 973-521-1061 (text or voice)
Web Reference:
0 votes
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Thu Jan 31, 2013
You will need to check with your township building/construction officials for single family homes and with the association for townhomes. I feel quite certain that a fence can be put up around a single family home, but having it electrified in town could be an issue. As far as a town home, I would think, in addition to municipal ordinances, you would have to abide by the association rules. So, start with those two and go from there.
0 votes
Maria Gilda…, Agent, Manchester, CT
Thu Jan 31, 2013
The best advice I can give you is to contact the building department which has jurisdiction over where the property is located. There are some restrictions as to the setback and linear feet in installing fence. Normally, a decorative fence or picket fence does not need a permit. But to be on the safe side, contact the local authority on this matter.

0 votes
Thank you..
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Hamburg Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more