Can a Mello Roos be transfered from one house to another in the same neighborhood?

Asked by Anita4e, Lincoln, CA Fri Jun 22, 2012

I paid mine off (in Lincoln Crossing) and am looking for another home in the same general area. Can a transfer be done?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ute Ferdig -…, Agent, New Castle, DE
Fri Jun 22, 2012
I have never heard of this being possible. I know that some counties allow home owners to transfer their property taxes to a replacement property, but what you have in mind is different. Essentially, once you pay off the mello roos, the lien for that special assessment should be removed from your property, and I don't think you can voluntarily put a Mello Roos tax lien back on and get your money back so that you can apply it to pay off the Mello Roos on another property. You will be able to get some benefit from having paid it off because prospective buyers will prefer your property over a similar other property that still has Mello Roos. I hope that serves as some consolation. Double check with the Placer County tax assessor's/collector's offices.
1 vote
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Mello-Roos is to the parcel, not to the individual owner.

You might want to look into a transfer of your basis for the ad valorem part of your property taxes. That is the part that is NOT mello-roos.

If you decide to sell your current Lincoln Crossing home, your listing agent will write in the marketing remarks that there is no Mello-Roos on this particular house. That alerts buyers and agents that a house without Mello Roos will have a lower payment than a comparable house that has those fees. This makes your house more attractive than a similar house in the same price range.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Lincoln Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more