Can a F-1 Visa student buy a house in Washington state?

Asked by Ngoc Thi Minh Tran, Kent, WA Mon May 30, 2011

I am F-1 student, and my grandparents want to buy a house in Auburn or Kent, WA for me. They have visa F-1 as well! I wonder if they can buy a house here. And if they can, what procedure do we need to purchase a house?

Answers

4
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon May 30, 2011
The thing about the F-1 visa, Ngoc, is that is based on your intention to leave the USA after the completion of your studies. Non-citizens can buy real estate in Washington the same way that citizens can - there are no special taxes or requirements - but you should check with an immigration lawyer about whether shopping for real estate would be a violation of your visa and expose you to the possibility of deportation.

I speak with some authority; I am one of 31 Certified International Property Specialists, which is a National Association of Realtors(r) designation, in Washington State.

Hope this helps,
Phil Leng, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Tue May 31, 2011
The United States has one of the most generous policies and laws concerning foreign investors of any country in the world.
You are most welcome to buy property here while you study.
Phil
Web Reference:  http://www.philipleng.com
Shane Milne, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, South Jordan, UT
Mon May 30, 2011
With that Visa classification you could only purchase under a true Foreign National Program. You are in luck, because where you are looking to buy there is a lender called Washington Federal that lends to foreign nationals.. and they are HQ'd in Washington!

Their foreign national program guidelines are: purchases & refinances, 50% down payment/equity is required, minimum down payment (investment) of $100k is required (so do the math), 30-year fixed, minimum $50k loan amount, passport is required, income needs to be in English and converted to U.S. Dollars by the employer... amongst other smaller guidelines.

Canadian National's are given much more leniency than those guidelines... are you a Canadian National?
Ngoc Thi Minh…, Home Buyer, Kent, WA
Mon May 30, 2011
@Shane: I'm Vietnamese.
@Mack: thanks