Can I use my credit score from another country to buy a house in California ?.?

Asked by Frankie, 94547 Thu Nov 17, 2011

My American wife and I are moving from Europe to California next year and if we find stable employment will apply for a mortgage. She had a good credit score when she left California seven years ago and we both have an impeccable score in Europe also. I have been told that it takes 2 years to build a credit score in California so my question is can we transfer it from Europe?.

Answers

2
Steven Ornellas’ answer
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Nov 17, 2011
Frankie:

I do not believe you can "transfer" your credit; however, there is a very good chance you can use your European scores.

See "Non-U.S. Citizen Borrowers" of the following document (page 461); which states:

“If a non-U.S. citizen borrower does not have enough tradeline references in the United States to satisfy Fannie Mae requirements, the lender must use credit references from foreign countries to achieve the required number of seasoned credit references.”
https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/guides/ssg/sg/pdf/sel102511.pdf

By the way, perhaps you can investigate the transfer of some of your multi-national accounts; American Express and other cross-border card issuers MAY transfer your account#, which would theoretically transfer the time an account has been in existence. Much of the US Credit Score is based on how long an account has been opened. Obviously, the more info you can transfer the better -- anyway, it's worth looking into…

-Steve
Neil Case, Agent, Martinez, CA
Thu Nov 17, 2011
Frankie,

I have never encountered this question and I don't know the answer. But I do know who will have the answer. Call or email this fella. Mike Trejo of Bridgepoint Funding in Pleasant Hill. 510-912-7102 mtrejo444@comcast.net. I've worked with dozens of loan agents in my 13 years and I have never found anyone as diligent as Mike.