Can I use a 401k loan for a down payment with an FHA loan?

Asked by marysimpler, Warren, MI Tue Apr 23, 2013

selling a property and should make $3,000 after selling fees. Want to buy a house listed at $189,000 through FHA. How much should I expect to have at closing and can I use my 401k to fund the down payment and closing costs? I have $13,000 in savings right now, but would like to keep my savings in the bank. My credit score is around 735.

Answers

3
Sigrid Garri…, Agent, Rochester, MI
Tue Apr 23, 2013
Mary,

First you need to check with your 401K plan to see if they would allow it. If yes, how much could you get & what are the repayment amount?
Second, would your mortgage company allow using those funds since you have to pay them back?
I would suspect that they may allow it for additional downpayment but not any closing costs.
You have a great credit score!!! Congratulations on that. Why wouldn't you want to use your savings? if you have an emergency down the road, you may be able to take money out of your 401K as a loan for that.
You need to speak with a mortgage rep as well as your 401K plan administrator.
I can gladly furnish you with some names if you like

I wish you the best!!
Karen Paytas, Agent, Clinton Twp, MI
Tue Apr 23, 2013
Good Morning Mary,

I would recommend talking with your lender. They are the best to advise you on this. My son did exactly this when he bought his home but he was a first time homebuyer.

If you need assistance buying or selling a home I would be happy to help you.

Have a great day!!

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com
Ron Ristovski, Both Buyer And Seller, Troy, MI
Tue Apr 23, 2013
If this is the first time personal residence, yes you can do that.

Talk to your company on this as they handle 401K through thrid party. Also to your mortgage person to ensure the procedure to be followed to handle=> mostly the funds has to directly to Ttle company from 401k provider.

Ron
http://www.TheBestMIHomes.com
http://www.AffordableMIHomes.com