Can I switch buyer's agent after the offer has been written and before it has been accepted?

Asked by First_timer, 94122 Wed Jun 10, 2009

Can I switch buyer's agent after the offer has been written and before it has been accepted? We have losttrust in our brotker in his competence to best represent us.

Answers

5
Rebecca Cham…, , Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Thu Jun 11, 2009
Your Broker is representing you, and you have to have confidence in their ability to do so. If something happened to make you lose confidence once I would suggest a long face to face conversations with your Broker. If something has happened multiple times, than I would suggest you find someone else who you do have faith in.

If the offer has been submitted to the Seller but not yet accepted, then you will likely have a hard time eliminating your current Broker from the transaction. You can certainly ask that another agent 'co-represent" you for the remainder of the transaction and ask that they split the commission.
David Tapper, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Thu Jun 11, 2009
Yes you can, but it's going to be ugly. If you have not conveyed your message to your agent, maybe you should talk with your agents broker or manager and explain your situation. Maybe the broker can have another agent in the office help finalize the transaction or help and do it themselves.

Feel free to write back to Trulia and explain what is going on so we can all help a little more.

Tap

Cashin Company
http://www.DavidTapper.com
415-370-7195
Web Reference:  http://TeamTapper.com
If offer accepted then NO, something called procuring cause, and I would also be careful if you did submit the offer...and at this point a 'new' buyers agent brought in after procuring cause, you might have to compensate them, as I would not
Flag Wed Apr 15, 2015
Lisa Cartola…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Thu Jun 11, 2009

Well first I would ask what happened to make you want to switch agents.... Is there a particular event that caused the mistrust? Have you tried talking to your agent? Hopefully you can work things out by really talking with each other about what is bothering you. If you feel the agent is not able to respresent you in the best manner, you may also want to see if there is another agent from the same office that your current agent can bring in to help out. Just an idea....

If you still feel like you would prefer to work with a different agent, you would need to cancel the contract with the agent you wrote the offer with and you would need to located another Realtor to represent you to submit another offer for the property. Depending on where you are in the process of haveing an accepted or declined offer, you may want to stay with the agent you are currently working with.

If this property does not work out for you, and you still feel that you would prefer to work with a different agent, I would, in writing, let your current agent know why you are terminating the relationship and work on finding someone who might be a better fit for you.

Hope this helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Relators
Web Reference:  http://www.LisaCartolano.com
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Thu Jun 11, 2009
Why have you lost trust and have you honestly tried to correct the situation by telling the agent or the broker waht your expectations are and then giving them a chance to serve you?
Yes you can change agetns or brokerages. You need to cancel the contract/offer before it gets accepted and then write a letter to the agent and brokerage ending the realtionship. If you are still interested in the property You will need to act quickly in finding another agent. Do not use the listing agent as it will open the both of you up for a lawsuit. If the listing agent has induced this change to thier advantage they have violated the ethics of the Assocaition of Realtors and have an increased chance of losing thier license if action is brought against them at the State Board of Realtors. The agents fiduciary duty is of utmost importance and if it even appears that the listing agent steered you away from independent representation to take advantage - well stupidity has no better definition.
Adrian Hunti…, Agent, SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Wed Jun 10, 2009
You could cancel your offer, but the listing agent may think that you are not serious and wasting their time. You also signed a Disclosure Regarding Real Estate Relationship's. May I suggest that you stick with your current Realtor on this one offer. Did you sign an Exclusive with your Realtor? If not, find a new realtor for the furture. Are they the actual broker? If not ask to speak with their broker to discuss your concerns. I am assuming that your Realtor took time to show you this property and write your offer. In all fairness they did the work on this one. In your defense I feel that an agent should be working 24/7 to help you find a home, and get your offer accepted. It is time that Realtors work for the dollars made in 2004-2005.