Can I really find the right agent matching expertise with flexibility?

Asked by Bauhaus, Philadelphia, PA Thu Mar 1, 2012

Was just pre-approved and it's time for my wife and me to consult with a real estate professional - but we've been hesitant.

Specifically, we don't feel we need the standard agent-client relationship, but that we'd be most comfortable with someone who will be comfortable in the advisor role - showing us properties we choose, while also making some suggestions. We really, really, have little interest in touring bunches of properties that we know we really won't seriously consider.

We'd like great advice and expert guidance through the buying process (though we've done a ton of research ourselves over the past year plus, and are comfortable in putting in the leg work to search out properties we like.) Specifically, lower Montgomery county interests us, along with West Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill.

I've read that some buyers use only a RE lawyer, but that seems maybe too radical for us. We'll need to find just the right agent and I'm wondering if such agents are out there?

Answers

11
Vicky Chrisner’s answer
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
You actually just PERFECTLY defined what a buyers agent is and should be. So perfectly that I am going to steal it for my marketing materials! :) I SOOOOO wish I was in your area. Best of luck to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.vickychrisner.com
Carol Cei, Agent, Maple Glen, PA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
Hello, Bauhaus,

Looks like you were asking more than one question on Trulia today. Here is my take on the answer:

It all depends on whether or not your agent is LISTENING to you. I have some clients who work with me for a long time because they are looking for something specific. We only get together if there is something that appears to meet MOST of their criteria. We are not out looking for homes every week and we don't look at every home that comes up on the market...only the ones that apply.

I receive daily updates from TREND for each client. While it is time consuming, I screen and view each listing to be sure it is appropriate for the criteria I have listed for my client. If it fits the profile, I send it on. If it doesn't fit, it gets deleted. You should be working with someone who has extensive experience as you seem to be savvy buyers. A RE Lawyer can't help you as they don't usually find homes for you to purchase. If you want to purchase from a FSBO, your attorney can prepare the documents, but in my many years of experience, I haven't seen attorney's do very much else. They don't have time and it isn't cost effective for them to search for homes for you.

You should interview your agent and see if you feel compatible. Also, ask to have a NON-EXCLUSIVE BUYER AGENCY CONTRACT....that way, if things don't work out you can walk away and not owe the person anything. I don't believe in forcing people to work with me because they have signed a time-marked document. I am their agents for the homes that I show them. We work together because we choose to do so.

I wish you good luck. If you visit my website, listed below, click on the First Time Buyer tab and you will get more good information

All the Best,

Carol Cei, ePRO, REALTOR
FIVE STAR PROFESSIONAL
ReMax Platinum Club
ReMax Action Realty
215-358-1223
215-643-9661 Direct
carolcei@remax.net
Web Reference:  http://www.carolcei.com
Jennifer Day…, Agent, Phoenixville, PA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
Bauhaus, I can assure you that no agent wants to show you bunches and bunches of properties that you won't seriously consider. Realtors do not receive a payment until a deal is struck and until that deal closes. I would much rather a buyer be very specific about what they are searching for and show them only the houses that match their criteria. In fact it's even better if the buyer also drives past the listings to be sure they are interested in seeing it.

You will still need to deal with the listing agent even if you use a RE Attorney as they will be the one presenting to the seller and doing the negotiating. Find a Realtor in the areas you are searching, be specific about what you are searching for. Provide them with a list of homes you have already identified and ask them to schedule the appointments to see them.

Most buyers do the leg work as it is very easy for them to know what is on the market due to the numerous websites available. It's the negotiating, writing the agreement and getting the property to settlement that is the most difficult and that is where a buyer's agent will be invaluable to you.
Anne Rubin, Agent, Elkins Park, PA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
I'm your gal! Please contact me so we can discuss in detail your goals and expectations and I can share how we can best work together to meet your goals. I look forward to your phone call or email.

Anne
R. Eric Axel…, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Thu Mar 1, 2012
Hi Bauhaus,

First of all, it is entirely acceptable for you to choose the properties. Your agent can sometimes suggest a listing you might be interested in, but you can decide if you want to take the time to tour it.

While Realtors are not attorneys and we always recommend you hire an attorney to review anything nonstandard, keep in mind that an attorney will cost you whereas a Realtor's commission is customarily paid for by the Seller in Pennsylvania.

Good luck in your search and if you would like to interview me, I would welcome that. Just reach out to schedule a time.

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Luxury Home Marketing Specialist
Licensed in NJ and PA

Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
Philadelphia | New Hope | the Main Line | South Jersey
267.507.2287
axelson@kurfiss.com
Most Prestigious Real Estate Company, Luxury Institute, 2008
Web Reference:  http://kurfiss.com
Jennifer Day…, Agent, Phoenixville, PA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
Bauhaus, I can assure you that no agent wants to show you bunches and bunches of properties that you won't seriously consider. Realtors until a deal is struck and until that deal closes. I would much rather a buyer be very specific about what they are searching for and show them only the houses that match their criteria. In fact it's even better if the buyer also drives past the listings to be sure they are interested in seeing it.

Peter Ryan, Agent, Center Valley, PA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
Bauhaus...you have been doing your homework! The name sounded familiar, and I found a question from March of last year regarding prorating of R.E. taxes that I answered. Sounds like the homework is complete, and you're ready to go. I commend you.
Peter Ryan, Agent, Center Valley, PA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
As the first answer indicates, you can certainly find that agent, and he or she is not unique. Each buyer has different requirements, and a good agent is able to offer exactly the level of service that's required. For an experienced agent, you're an ideal buyer!
Jim O'Rourke, , Philadelphia County, PA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
There are over 50,000 licensed real estate agents and brokers combined in Pennsylvania. I can understand why you might have some trepidation finding the perfect one to help you.

As I mentioned in a previous post to another of your valid and important questions, an Accredited Buyer’s Representative is probably the best real estate professional you could hire, and is specifically trained and experienced to help you as the buyer find and effectively negotiate the purchase of your new home.

You will also find many fine and knowledgeable agents on this website too. Just be sure to interview your potential representative to make sure he or she is a perfect fit; you will be spending a lot of time together as your agent endeavors to help you find and purchase the property.

Again, I hope this information was helpful. If so, please give it a thumbs up!
Good luck, and enjoy your home buying experience!

Jim O'Rourke
Principal Title Agent
Liberty Bell Agency, Inc.
"Experience a Better Real Estate Closing!"
Web Reference:  http://goo.gl/c1vJl
Sharon Sapp, Agent, Reading, PA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
You can define how you want to work with a buyer's agent. The old time agent-client relationship you are speaking of has changed over the years to more like the relationship you would have with a lawyer or doctor. Ask family or friends who they would recommend. If they haven't used a Realtor recently, you can check out the agents on Trulia or other sites, check out their website to find out what they are all about and then interview some agents until you feel comfortable that the relationship would be what you are after.
Web Reference:  http://YourRealtor4PA.com
Michael Bene…, Agent, Blue Bell, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Bauhaus,

Pre approved is a great step forward. I can give you my back round. I am investor of real estate my self. I originated Loans, sold homes, and bought homes. I will not be happy until you and your wife are happy with the property you have chosen. Please contact me and will be my pleasure working with both of you. My contact info is on my site http://www.cbpref.com/michaelbenedict . I look forward to the journey.