Punk8slvr, Home Buyer in 21666

Can I negotiate with the builder if I'm interested in buying a pre-construction home or are their advertised?

Asked by Punk8slvr, 21666 Tue Jul 7, 2009

I'm interested in purchasing a new home, pre-construction, from a builder. They are offering some incentives but its not enough to put it within my realistic price range. Is it possible to offer them less than what they're advertising it for? Should I use a realtor or try to negotiate directly with the sales representative?

Answers

6
CubbieFan, Both Buyer And Seller, Stevensville, MD
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Hi there Punk9slvr, well... here is my experience. I'm a buyer and have had dealt with 4 builders last few month.

Builder 1) Sales manager was very kind, and I went there by myself and negotiated a little bit, then went back with buyer's agent. She was fine with it, and with the buyers agent, was able to negotiate a very good deal down plus 10k in closing cost help, but due to issue not related to builder or us, we were unable to close the deal.

Builder 2) Sales Manager was courteous, and was good with contacting us. We went there first time without agent and started negotiating. We went back with buyer's agent and was able to negotiate a good deal with builder paying 10k in closing cost. It was good deal, but builder 1 provided us with better deal, so we went with builder 1, but as mentioned above, deal fell apart... =(

Builder 3) Went there with buyer's agent on first visit. Sales manager absolutely stonewalled us!!! Even with buyers agent she refused to reduce the price by 1 cent!! She threw bunch of bull at us as if we were hitting the market for the first time. Already having dealt with 2 builders who were willing to negotiate, we high-tailed outta there!!!

Builder 4) We went there without buyer's agent. Sales manager was courteous and after several visits, felt comfortable with him enough that we decided not to involve a buyer's agent and was able to negotiate a favorable deal plus closing costs paid by the the builder. We signed contact with them, and now awaiting loan approval!

One thing I can tell you from my experience, it really depends on the sales rep and you should target quick deliveries. We were able to negotiate price that was well below listed price with closing cost help. If builder gives you bull about "Oh, that's price with all the incentives, we can't no any lower" walk away! I think buyer's agent definitely helps, but strangely enough we were able to get a pretty good deal by ourselves... Having just read what Mr. Mansur Hasib wrote, I totally agree with what he said. Stay cool, and be polite!! We were also lucky in that the sales rep representing the builder was very polite and answered all of our questions.
Mike Piasecki…, Agent, Annapolis, MD
Thu Mar 1, 2012
First off, remember that although the community sales manager may be very friendly....THEY WORK FOR THE BUILDER, not you! That said should be enough. Get a good FULL TIME real estate professional to represent YOU in the contract and negotiations. The paperwork will still be done on the builder's paperwork, and the salesman will still be doing the selections with you etc. but the agent will be there to make sure YOU
are treated fairly.
David Oliva, , Stevensville, MD
Wed Jul 15, 2009
The fact is, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate... The first question should be how good of a negotiator are you? A top REALTOR might negotiate 50+ contracts a year, How many new home contracts have you negotiated this year? The second question should be, What does the CMA show? Is the home priced well, what are the comparable sales, and does the builder have any spec homes that might suit your needs? Using a top REALTOR with new homes experience won't cost you money, it will save you!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Jul 7, 2009
Yes, use a Realtor to negotiate on your behalf, and yes pre-construction is negotiable.

Anna
Alan K, , Westminster, MD
Tue Jul 7, 2009
Everything is negotiable. A Realtor could help you with this.

Alan
(443) 789-6712
Gregg Zeiler, , Maryland
Tue Jul 7, 2009
Yes,
You can negotiate with the builder for additional incentives/discounts/concessions.
I would recommend working with a realtor. You are at a disadvantage when you negotiate with a builder.
There may be-most likely will be-contractual elements with which you are unfamiliar.
A realtor will be your advocate and look out for your best interests.
I hope this is helpful.

Gregg
Web Reference:  http://www.greggzeiler.com