Can I negotiate with Fannie Mae?

Asked by Sarah, Killeen, TX Wed May 29, 2013

My fiance and I are looking into making an offer on a Fannie Mae owned foreclosure. We want to make an offer and negotiate with them to put appliances in the home. My Realtor spoke with the listing agent's assistant who advised her that we will have to put in an offer (& earnest money) & have it accepted first THEN we can negotiate the terms. This makes me a little leery. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Answers

2
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed May 29, 2013
Bruce is correct NO lender will approve a loan UNLESS the appliances are there AND in working condition. All lenders know that. Did they remove the appliances for storage perhaps?

Recommend have it authored in special provisions for the contract if NO appliances are present on property.

IF you are searching for BRAND NEW appliances more than likely your offered could be declined. Most of these homes are purchased "AS IS" .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Wed May 29, 2013
What appliances?

If you are getting a loan it will likely be required by your lender that it have a stove/oven or cooktop/oven. In my experience they will typically add this before closing if it is a lender requirement. I've also seen microwaves and dishwashers replaced. You can't count on this or guarantee this.

I have personally never seen them add a fridge or washer/dryer.

With Freddie/Fannie properties I think your realtor is correct. You pretty much have to get the bid first. Then try to negotiate repairs. If the appliances are a deal killer for you, don't bid. You may not get them and you are more or less locked in on the contract. It is not like buying a home from an individual seller with more opportunities to back out of the contract. So you have to think of it more of a bonus, if you get them great BONUS....if you don't you bid appropriately in the beginning and aren't disappointed if you don't get them.