Can I find out the internal square footage of 3 Ridge Road, Rocky Point, NY before my son signs a contract?

Asked by Barbara Sandberg, 18324 Sun Jul 13, 2008

Answers

9
Jaishree..Ja…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Tue Aug 5, 2008
I would ask the seller if they know the Square Footage of the house, they may have survey done previously. Another way is to get the measurement of the rooms and calculate them. Also to get the genral idea is to maesure the house..width+length=total Square feet...if it's only 1 level house.
I would mention to buyer atty and make an appointment with the seller, ask seller agent also if they can find out the details. You can check with Brookhaven Town 631-451-6300 and ask how to go about finding out the Square Feet of this house, if they have any record, you may be able to get the answer over the phone.....Good luck..
Thomas McGiv…, Agent, Farmingville, NY
Sat Sep 13, 2008
Barbara,

did your son sign the contract?

again - why did you need to know the square footage?
Kathy, Home Buyer, Belle Harbor, NY
Sat Sep 13, 2008
Peter Andres…, , Medford, NY
Wed Jul 16, 2008
I showed this house about 2 weeks ago to a buyer. I remember trying to see the Sound from the backyard deck. Make an appointment to re-visit the house with your agent; most people re-visit prior to contract to take measurements and some take family with them for support. Didn't the basement have a folding wall at one part?
Jack Muratore, Agent, Smithtown, NY
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Two ways to obtain Living Area Square Foot information of a house you are about to purchase. 1) Visit the Town of Brookhaven Building Department, and check the records. Usually if the house is not old, that information is available to the public. 2) Request through the seller's attorney that you wish to have the house appraissed, ( this after contract needs to be done anyway ). Consult with your mortgage Broker that you wish to have the house appraised and the Living Space Area calculated prior to entering into contract. If all is well with the report you may continue with contracts or back out of the purchase but you will most likely need to pay for the appraisal.
Web Reference:  http://www.helpubuyahome.com
Thomas McGiv…, Agent, Farmingville, NY
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Barbara - why do you need this information?
Web Reference:  http://www.tommcgiveron.com
joanna lane, Agent, Cutchogue, NY
Sun Jul 13, 2008
That home is a single story ranch, so your son should ask for a survey, which will show lot coverage. Also, the listing agent can give you approximate square footage. Of course if you want exact measurements to the inch, there's nothing to beat going round there yourself with a tape measure. If you need someone who can do that for your son, you can call me on 631-252-5653
Web Reference:  http://ww.propertyangels.com
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sun Jul 13, 2008
I don't see that you would need legal advice. Ask your Realtor to arrange a re-show to go in and measure rooms. If the purchase depends on square footage, please understand that Long Island properties are not sold /sq ft as in the City, etc. Most homeowners have no idea of the square footage.

When the bank sends in an appraiser, square footage will probably be documented at that time.
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com
Phil Svendsen, , Huntington, NY
Sun Jul 13, 2008
I assume you now know all about the 'external' square footage and that your son is now in the contract phase and you want to find out as much as you can to further analyze the situation. As far as 'internal' room by room square foot measurements are concerned I see no other alternatiive than to ask the seller permission if you can revisit the premises. Before you do anything however I strongly suggest you get legal advice.