Can I chose to waive rights to an attorney for home purchase in Connecticut?

Asked by Leah Evita, 06854 Sat Sep 19, 2009

Answers

11
Anne Astley, Agent, Old Lyme, CT
Sun Sep 20, 2009
Why would you not want an attorney - for around $500-600 you have someone looking out for you in what will probably be one of the largest investment/purchases you make in your life - it could be a very costly mistake on your part to not have an attorney. Your agent should be able to explain the benefits of an attorney to you - and if you don't have an agent perhaps you should get one. Make sure your attorney deals with Real Estate transactions on a regular basis.
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Sat Sep 19, 2009
I think Fred nailed it (the answer) wonder why someone would make that request of you also.

You are talking about a large financial commitment and signing away a powerful tool to help protect yourself is as Fred put it...

"That sounds insane. "

Thumbs up Fred and IMHO you should also get Best Answer..

Dunes
Fred Griffin, , Tallahassee, FL
Sat Sep 19, 2009
I am not an Attorney and I am not in Connecticut...

Waive your rights to an Attorney? That sounds insane.

WHY would you do that? Who would ask you to do that, and why?

? ? ? ? ? ? ?

.
Linda A. Cap…, Agent, East Norwalk, CT
Wed Nov 25, 2015
You do have options. If you are trying to save some dollars, you can use a title company who does have an attorney on staff, so you would still be protected and would receive legal advice. Most transactions are handled by an attorney in Connecticut, but as i mentioned, a title company is certainly an option. Either way, you'll want representation to guide you through the process.

Linda
Mary Ann &…, Agent, Westport, CT
Sat Aug 11, 2012
You need an attorney in Connecticut. It would be a mistake not to use one. I know of several that are good and very reasonable. If I can help you, let me know. Mary Ann Laurita, Prudential CT Realty
203-856-9383
George Bakes, , Del Mar, CA
Thu Oct 20, 2011
Leah:

You can certainly represent yourself in a real estate transaction, but I would recommend using a local attorney with local knowledge.

If you need a good referral of local attorneys in the Norwalk area, please feel free to contact me at george.bakes@cbmoves.com

Thank you.

George Bakes.
Web Reference:  http://www.georgebakes.net
Betty Stroll, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Thu Oct 13, 2011
Leah..

I would HIGHLY recommend you not wait your rights to an attorney to close on your home. In Ct it is required to close with an attorney. I can recommend some if you need. They cost between $500 to $600 plus title insurance. They are your eyes and ears to what the legal words mean.
If you would like to know more, please contact me at 203-682-4327 Betty
Dahlia Madis…, Agent, Stamford, CT
Sat Sep 19, 2009
Hi Leah,

You do not need to have an attorney personally represent you in the home buying process, although I would strongly not recommend that course of action. However, you do need an attorney for the closing, which would be the seller's attorney if you do not have your own attorney. In Connecticut, mortgage companies and lenders require you to use an attorney to verify that title is good and that there are no outstanding liens against the property. The State of Connecticut strongly suggests that the buyer should retain an attorney to represent them. It is the attorney's responsibility to protect his or her client's investment in the property and to protect the buyer from unpleasant surprises from a legal or financial standpoint.

Dahlia Madison
Weichert Capital Properties
Email: fairfieldcountyhomes@gmail.com
Phone: 1.203.883.9170
Web Reference:  http://bit.ly/447QQE
Jane Walters, Agent, Westport, CT
Sat Sep 19, 2009
Attorneys generally charge between $850 and $1200 depending on how much work needs to be done. The attorney will review the sales contract, do a title search, stay on top of the mortgage contingency (as we also do) and really represent your interests in the purchase. I would recommend retaining an attorney to represent your rights.
Elizabeth Le…, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Sat Sep 19, 2009
Wow! You are kidding, right? Altho I have heard there are some states where you don't need an attorney to represent you....

Without an attorney representing your interests, .you are putting you and your family at such risk if you don't.....the title must be clean, liens satisfied, boundaries legal, etc. etc.
Michelle L.…, Agent, Niantic, CT
Sat Sep 19, 2009
You could, but why would you want to? Do you know how to do a title search? How about title insurance? Will you know where to purchase it? Are you familiar with all the necessary bank documents and paperwork involved? Will your bank even allow you to be unrepresented? You are much better off having an attorney take care of all of the intricate closing details? Good luck!