Alex Gom, Home Buyer in Maryland

Can I change the realtor?

Asked by Alex Gom, Maryland Wed Apr 17, 2013

I have met my current realtor back in December just to ask some questions and see how things are done as a first time home buyer. During that time he took down my information, no document exchanges, and he sent me a copy of my credit report 3 months later. Now I am ready for shopping and trying to contact him but it's hard to reach and no return emails either. Do I have to stay with this realtor? or can I make the switch now? I heard once I'm in with one realtor I cannot switch, but wasn't sure if my case counts too or not.
Thank you.

Answers

16
Kathy Hutchi…, Agent, Huntingtown, MD
Wed Apr 17, 2013
I agree with the agents that have responded- have you talked with a lender to get prequalified? That is the first thing you should do as a buyer in Maryland- that lender can determine what program is best for you. There are some excellent 100% financing programs out there available in certain parts of Maryland that are fantastic! I would love to get you with a lender in Annapolis and then once we know what price range start looking at what's available. I have my own company and am very easy to reach!

Kathy Hutchins
Broker/Owner
Hutchins Property Management
301-785-1995
khutchins@realtor.com
The Deswal G…, Agent, Great Neck, NY
Fri Apr 19, 2013
Hi Alex,

I am hoping that by now you would have gotten rid of that Realtor and made contact with some of these local agent that answered on this Board. Good Luck.
Karym Casas, Agent, Doral, FL
Fri Apr 19, 2013
Alex

It is very simple. If your realtor does not answer your calls or emails it means he does not need your business or has other reasons not to work with you.
Get a professional that is dedicated to his clients and whose response time is less than 24 hours.
Do you think that if that individual can not even call you back or text you or email you back, will he be available to enforce a contract? or a buyer/broker agreement?
Jessica Hood…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Oh my goodness. Of course you can. You hire your real estate professional and if you haven't signed a contract with him you are able to choose whoever you like. Best of luck on your house hunt!
Nancy Doyle, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Thu Apr 18, 2013
As the others have said if you have not signed anything binding with this Realtor you can find someone else to work for you.

Best of luck,
Nancy
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Thu Apr 18, 2013
If you both have not come to a written working agreement and you feel you have exhausted all efforts to get back in touch with him, then you are good to go on finding a new Realtor.
Joseph Herold, Agent, Pasadena, MD
Thu Apr 18, 2013
You are under no obligation to continue to work with a realtor. If you had signed anything, say an Exclusive Buyer Agreement with the realtor's brokerage, you could contact the manager for the brokerage and state you want to be released from your agreement. Since you are saying you signed nothing, you are free to shop around for another realtor. I would question how the realtor was able to get your credit report if you had not authorized that agent to do so.

I would be happy to work with you and you can contact me at anytime (443-742-4605, josephherold@championrealty.com).
Joan Lord, Agent, MD,
Thu Apr 18, 2013
I agree with the other agents about the buyer agency.

If you are looking in Frederick or Washington County, I will be happy to help you find you new home.

Joan Lod
301-471-2023 cell/text
Ann Taylor, Agent, Bel Air, MD
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Seems like you have a good reason to switch agents. Feel free to call me if you need a dedicated agent who will represent you . I would love to assist you. 443-417-6493
BJ Matson, Agent, Potomac, MD
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Based on what you described, you're free to choose another Realtor.
I work full-time in Montgomery County, you can learn more about me here;
http://www.choicerealestate.net/bj-matson.php

You can contact me directly, and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

BJ Matson
Remax Town Center
301-257-1270
Robert McArt…, Agent, Fallston, MD
Wed Apr 17, 2013
If you did not sign a Buyer Representation Agreement, you can absolutely switch Realtors. If you need any assistance in searching for a home. Please feel free to use my online search tool by using the link below. Buyers love it!
Troy Patters…, Agent, Alexandria, VA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
If you did not sign a buyer representation agreement with him then you're okay. If you did then you can potentially get out of the relationship but I'd have to review the agreement to confirm. Most importantly if he showed you any property that you wanted to write on he can be considered procuring cause. Feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss further.
Ruth Popek, Agent, Pasadena, MD
Wed Apr 17, 2013
A buyers agency form would have a duration, but no form, no lock-in. It would be my pleasure and my honor to help you with your home search. Please reach me, Ruth Popek, at 410-458-9592, or Ruth.popek@century21.com. Thank you.
Akil Walker, Agent, Upper Marlboro, MD
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Hello Alex,

I know you stated no documents were exchanged but did you sign a buyer agency agreement to work with your current agent? if you did not, you are free to work with another agent.
Jackie Krem…, Agent, Hanover, MD
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Your buyers agency agreement will state your time frame for ending the arrangement. If you have no written agreement then you can go with any agent you desire. If this agent is not performing you have the right to get an agent that will work for you and with you. Good Luck!
Greg Myers, Agent, Gaitherburg, MD
Wed Apr 17, 2013
If you have not signed a " buyer agency" agreement with the agent or real estate you are free to move on.

Greg Myers
RE/MAX Realty Group