Can FHA underwriters deny a loan over a $100 tax refund check from 2011 they can't find?

Asked by Sherry303, Arkansas Thu Jun 28, 2012

My daughter is purchasing a house through the FHA. It has taken 3 months to date and still no closing date in sight. The underwriters are researching her tax refund check she received in 2011 for the approximate amount of $100. The underwriters can't find where she cashed the check. She cashed the check at her place of employment. The are asking for proof she received/cashed the check. Why are the underwriters holding up closing the loan over a $100 check from 2011? Can they deny her over this?

Answers

1
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Thu Jun 28, 2012
Underwriters can be the biggest problem to obtaining a loan - PERIOD. The underwriters job is to check all the T's and I's to make sure everything is in order to proceed with the loan. They are the watchdogs for the lenders and they can break a deal for just about any reason they want to. Normally they will provide conditions, in other words, they will say the loan will be approved if you do this and this and get me that.