CAN YOU LEGALLY SELL A TWO STORY HOME THAT DOES NOT HAVE A RAILING ON THE STAIR CASE??

Asked by Carrie Hayes, Windsor, VA Mon Feb 14, 2011

Answers

3
Robert Thom…, Agent, Portsmouth, VA
Mon Feb 14, 2011
Hello, You can legally sell a home in just about any condition. The question becomes whether it will pass for appraisel and what repairs that you as the buyer would like. My suggestion would be to not let that stop you from purchasing the home. A good agent should be able to handle this issue for you very quickly. Also remember that most foreclosures and short sales are sold as is. However most banks understand that on higher priced non cash properties they may have to do repairs per appraisal guidelines. I hope that helps.Thanks Bob
Cindy Jones, Agent, Alexandira, VA
Mon Feb 14, 2011
You can sell a home with a missing staircase railing. A buyer's lender may require the railing to be installed before financing will be approved as well. A buyer can also ask the seller to install a railing so that it meets code, if it currently does not, or ask for compensation to install one themselves.
Web Reference:  http://www.cjrealtygroup.com
Jim McCowan, Agent, Arlington, VA
Mon Feb 14, 2011
Sure you can! An appraiser may flag it and it would definitley come up in a home inspection.