Buying from SIRVA Relocation

Asked by Jeff, Mon Feb 6, 2012

My wife and I are in the process of buying our first house and it is being sold through a relocation company, SIRVA. We set a closing date at about 50 days after our offer was accepted. SIRVA has dragged it's feet for 3 weeks and has given us a contract with some suspicious clauses. One is for an arbitration agreement that I would expect from a large company. The second is a penalty of 1.5% of the cost of the house per month for any delays on closings. We found this clause to be ridiculous and have asked for it to be removed citing that they delayed the process and now have left us with little time to properly secure the mortgage. They are dragging their feet again and our closing date is fast approaching. We do not want to delay the closing as we must be out of our apartment by then or have a hefty financial burden put on us. My question is has anyone had experiences like this with SIRVA before and what could we expect from them?

Answers

2
Frustrated, Home Buyer, Ohio
Wed Jun 6, 2012
How long did Sirva take to finally close? We are now in the same boat as you and wondering the same with Sirva.
Robert D Hug…, Agent, Devon, PA
Mon Feb 6, 2012
Yes Jeff I have worked with SIRVA as well as many other relo companies. They are all similar in that they are quick to penalize you for delay but not if they delay. My suggestion is to have your representative try and remove that kind of a clause. Be prepared they may not make any alterations to their Agreements. Arbitration clauses are to try and save money with using attorneys in the court system. You can still have representation, it is used to avoid going to court.

Stay on top of them with your representative, and keep pushing towards a close. Always go to managers and supervisors as the clerk on the phone or processor has NO power at all to do anything.

Best of luck and congratulations,

Rob