Buying a townhome better choice than a single-family home in terms of money and security?

Asked by Prasad, Round Rock, TX Wed Jul 9, 2008

I am a single mom and I am a first time home buyer around Round Rock, TX. Please advise whether to go for a townhome or a home. I am looking for a 3bedroom/2.5 bath/2 or 1 car garage one. I am much concerned about safety and maintainance. Is buying a brand new house is better than a 3-5 yr old house.
I greatly appreciate your help.

Answers

8
Carol Pease,…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Jul 9, 2008
Prasad:
We don't have enough information to answer all your questions. If you are concerned about safety and maintenance, then a townhome will probably be better for you. But, do you understand that there will still be interior maintenance in a townhome and there will probably be association dues that will in most cases offset the lower cost of a townhome. If you plan on selling within a few years a townhome will be much harder to sell than a single family home. There are many benefits to buying a new house right now. The builders are offering incredible incentives. But look in the same neighborhoods for agressively priced used houses. There are some serious bargains out there right now. If you haven't hired an agent I would love to talk to you. I am an accredited buyer's representative.

Thank you!

Carol Pease, ABR, CRS, CRB, e-PRO, GRI
512-721-6236
Web Reference:  http://www.CarolPease.com
John Watts, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Jul 9, 2008
Prasad,

If you do not like maintenance on both the outside and inside of a home, I recommend you buy a townhome. Even with a townhome, you will have some maintenance. As far as security, there would no major difference, providing both home and townhome were in similar neighborhoods and used the same security devices within the property.

In my opinion, the best way to buy a home, buy a resale home in a subdivision where the builder is still building in that subdivision. This will allow you to buy either same or similar floor plan cheaper, therefore, giving you greater appreciation in the long run. Also, there is strong possibility you receive additional amenities that would not have been in the new home. These amenities were added after the Seller bought the new home.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please go to my WEB site and click on my contact information for further assistance.
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Wed Jul 9, 2008
I don't think there's any difference. There's still maintenance on a townhome. You have to take care of all the inside maintenance in most cases. Outside you still pay for, you just pay monthly instead of as the work is needed. I personally don't think there's any savings though. It may be a little less painful sometimes though as you may not have to organize the work. For example if the roof needs to be replaced on a townhome, typically the board or management company will coordinate bids and contracts. The downside is they may decide on a different quality either better or worse than you would decide on. Also if the townhouse community hires an outside manager then you do pay a management fee to relieve you of some of the headaches.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
John Watts, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Jul 11, 2008
Prasad,

I recommend you go to couple pages on my WEB site: Click on Community Information within this page, there are a couple sites that will provide you valuable information. In addition, click on Available Links, then click on Sex Offender Data Base. From all these sites you should be able to gather valuable information which will allow you to make the correct decision.

In my opinion, buying west of I35 will probably have greater appreciation in the short term.

Buying new versus resale is all about timing and incentives offered by new builders and what is available in the resale market. Sometimes, you can get a better deal going with a new home, other times you can end up with a better deal and more desirable home purchasing a resale home. I would be happy to assist you with either a new or resale home and advise of the pros and cons going either way. Sometimes, with new homes, I am able to offer you a financial incentive.

There are some areas within the Austin metro area that you need to pay closer attention to foundation movement. I am aware of many of those areas.
Prasad, Home Buyer, Round Rock, TX
Fri Jul 11, 2008

Thank you all very much for the information. It was helpful. I have couple of other questions for which I wish to seek advice.
I am wondering if anyone can give some information regarding crime rates specifically in the Scofield ridge & Century Park blvd areas (zip code 78727), Great Oaks area (zip 78681), Ceder Park area.

I am not sure if I will be able to stay for more than 3-4 yrs in Austin. In that perspective is it better to buy a home in the east or west of I-35 in terms of resale value.

Is it better to buy a new home or a resale home?

Also, I have heard about soil problems in the east side of I-35, any insights on that?

Thank you very much.
Mattye Smith, Agent, Dallas, TX
Wed Jul 9, 2008
Tell me more about your specific situation...both have pros and cons...

Mattye Smith
972-733-5265

Colonial Real Estate
Linda Graves, Agent, Round Rock, TX
Wed Jul 9, 2008
I agree with Lynn...you need to talk over your options with your Realtor. If you do not have a Realtor I would like to meet with you & show you some neighborhoods that you might like..including single family homes & townhomes..new construction as well as resale If you are not currently working with a Realtor..please e mail me or give me a call at 512-785-3942.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed Jul 9, 2008
Real estate professionals per the code of ethics can’t make those comments on where person should live if you work positively in concert with your real estate agent I am assured you will have solutions to all of your questions resolved. http://www.lynn911.com