Buying a house on a busy street on the westside.

Asked by nachyaonline, Culver City, CA Tue May 28, 2013

I am looking at a house on Ohio & Sawtelle on the westside. The house was listed at 485K but went up by 13K. The house is facing Ohio. I am worried about two things.

1. Security - the patio can be easily accessed from Ohio. With such easy access I am not sure how secure the place would be even in day time.

2. Busy street - the house is facing Ohio which is a busy street, how will it affect the resale.

Current owners bought the house at 530K in 2005. We are getting out of the crash so hopefully in a few years the price will go up. What do you think?

Answers

9
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sun Jun 2, 2013
I think you have a good idea of the plus and minus side of the purchase. Knowing what you are buying is half the battle. Now it's up to YOU to make the decision if the property is worth the price. If you were working with a Buyer Agent, you would already have that information.
Gail Mercedes…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Wed May 29, 2013
So the house did not sale for $485K and they raised the price. that is a busy section but hopefully the price reflection that condition. Your purchase is individual decision but will supply residential report. Will give more information on area.

http://www.onboardnavigator.com/webcontent/OBWC_Search.aspx?…

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP
310.853.9933
Ron Escobar -…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Tue May 28, 2013
I think you should get a great buyer agent to help you in extensive detail. Try emailing all of us here and find out which one you click with the best.

Also a busy traffic adjustment on value can be higher than $50k...so subtract that from all your comparables to get your price.

All real estate will go up with time. The real questionis do you want to live there? if it bugs you now, it will bug you until you sell it.

Ron
ron@select-realestate.com
Daniel Casti…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Jan 12, 2016

prices will go up slowly, maybe not ?
both of your concerns are valid,

I would be happy to work you. Please feel free to contact me anytime
if you have questions.
Ben Kinsky, Both Buyer And Seller, Los Angeles Air Force Base, CA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
West LA is in the process of getting a lot . busier. A train stop is nearing completion on Bundy at the free way . Locales are trying to stop a large shopping center around Bundy and Olympic. Small homes and small multi familie units are being torn down and multi story dwellings are going up with outrageous rents. WE searched out of state and struck gold. What a RELIEF.
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Sun Jun 2, 2013
It is all relative. Its location is what it is and its value is based on that. In the future, as in the past, it has risen and fallen commensurate to the market and its value. It will do so again. The same concerns you have, others will have. So, it is likely less desirable than a house further away. But then its cost is less than than a house further away.
Al Goldberg, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu May 30, 2013

Would you like me to look at it with you?

Al Goldberg Broker
310-721-7653
ALYourBroker@yahoo.com
Maryam Majno…, Agent, santa monica, CA
Tue May 28, 2013
This is a very personal decision and life style that you are going to chose . If you are worried about security you can fix that by installing security alarm ,however as far as the busy street there is not much you can do or change about except getting used to it I guess:)
For resale value homes are going up for sure and we are in sellers market right now , and I believe there is one buyer for every home if you decide to sell later .

Good luck and congratulation .
Maryam
Heather Paul, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Tue May 28, 2013
Hello Nachyonline, congratulations on deciding to buy, it's a great time to buy!!! Do you have a Realtor you are currently working with? I would definitely advise hiring your own exclusive buyers agent and they will definitely be able to help you with these and many other questions you have.

If you should have any questions, feel free to email me or call me directly.

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Broker Associate, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
310-923-2334
http://www.HeatherPaulOnline.com
heatherprealtor@gmail.com