Buying a home and having a problem with current landlord.

Asked by Prasanna Upperi, New York, NY Tue Aug 6, 2013

Hello Experts,

I am in the process of buying a home in stamford while currently renting. We liked a property and going through offer submit process. My lease is ending Aug end and I asked my landlord to extend lease couple of months or month to month lease. I got denied and landlord is forcing me sign long term lease or vacate. I have been renting there for 6 years with prompt rent payments without any issue. What are my rights in CT?

Thank you

Answers

6
The Garthman…, Agent, Stamford, CT
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Hi. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Based on the date of Aug 6 when you submitted the question, we would be curious to know when you
first notified your landlord of your decision to move. It always is better to prepare the landlord at least 60 days in advance so you can work out an agreement prior to lease termination.

As mentioned earlier by other Realtors, there is no obligation for the landlord to renew the lease month-to-month. We would also suggest offering a premium to the current rent and also allowing the landlord to begin marketing the property immediately by giving him a confirmed date for vacating the property.

If you have been an ideal tenant then I am sure something can be mutually agreed upon.

Joann, , Stamford, CT
Wed Aug 7, 2013
It is hard to believe that a landlord would not work with such a good tenant. You can offer to pay the landlord extra money to stay on a month to month basis, you usually pay a premium for a short term lease. One of my clients moved into an extended stay hotel. Another option might be to rent the home you are trying to purchase but that depends on where you are in the negotiating process. You should consult your real estate attorney to review all options.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Aug 7, 2013
Your landlord is undoubtedly, unhappy that such a good tenant is leaving. You are at his mercy, because beyond the term of your present lease agreement, the owner has no obligation to you as the renter.

How much do you want to remain where you are and not have to move twice before eventually being in your own home? Here's a consideration....think about offering to pay an increased monthly amount for the priviledge of being able to stay there on a month-to-month basis. "Biting the bullet" and paying a couple hundred dollars more monthly could be worth the effort.

Consider giving the landlord something to consider that holds his attention might to the trick.

David Popoff, Agent, Darien, CT
Wed Aug 7, 2013
Prasanna, a lease is a contract with time periods and pricing, once over then a new one may be started. If your landlord will not do month to month for a vary of reasons then I suggest to look for complex that offer short term rental you might be best to go in that direction.
Deb Halsey, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Wed Aug 7, 2013
Although contracturally your landlord does not have to uphold your request, however, he/she could go through an eviction process (which takes time) therefore, I would recommend getting legal counsel, who will guide you with respect to your rights and timeline. Short term leases are usually a bit higher in price, so you may consider offering something a bit higher than what you're currently paying for a couple of months to see if that's an amenable solution.
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Tue Aug 6, 2013
Hello Prasanna,
Sorry, but I believe that the landlord does not have to honor any deviations from your current lease or an extension of it even though it appears that you've been an excellent tenant. Your question is a legal issue so is best answered by a real estate attorney.

Best wishes!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connnecticut Realty