Buying a foreclosure with some mold in basement

Asked by Sampurr, Rochester, MI Sat May 9, 2009

We are interested in a foreclosure that is in a great neighborhood, backs up to protected property, and has great bones. It has been on market for 410 days and is priced low. We thought it smelled musty, but it was vacant for two years. We went into the finished basement and it seemed dry--none of the carpet was damp, and we've had lots of rain lately. Then we noticed mold on the lower part of one of the exterior walls and some on a ceiling tile.
It was built in 1957 and an addition over a crawl space was added later. The exterior wall with mold on it is underneath the addition and lines up with the beginning of the crawl space. If there is a moisture problem I worry about how hard it would be to fix in this location.
I am concerned about the mold. The basement has carpet/drywall/ceiling tiles, which I assume will need to be removed. We don't want to buy something that makes us sick.
the house was pending a few weeks ago but something fell through in the inspection. Would you walk?

Answers

2
Derek Bauer, Agent, South Lyon, MI
Sun May 10, 2009
In that you like the home and the neighborhood, it seems to me you should get a professional opinion from a qualified home inspector, complete with an air quality test and a mold sampling. Making an assumption on something this large is probably not a good idea.

Keep us posted, and best of luck
Web Reference:  http://DoorToDreams.com
Erinmarie, Home Buyer, Michigan
Sat May 9, 2009
I know what house you are talking about. We were going to go and look at it but our agent said it was pending (this was about a month ago). I am not sure about the mold issue, It's hard to tell how bad it would be until you rip walls down (at least this is what I have heard). What did your agent say?