Buyer(me) responsible for co and fire permit in linden, NJ. What is the process? Before or After Closing?

Asked by Kimmie771, Linden, NJ Tue Feb 16, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Victor Kaminski’s answer
Victor Kamin…, Agent, Edison, NJ
Mon Mar 1, 2010
If you're using a realtor that should be their job to arrange the inspections, you'll have to pay for them.

If not using a realtor, you'll need to visit the Linden Fire Dept on Elizabeth ave to arrange fire inspection, go to the building on the right of the fire house. You can't call to schedule because you'll need to pay for the inspection in advance.

For C/O you'll need to visit city hall on wood ave go to the 2nd floor, easier just to go in the buildings left side entrance and it will be the first door on your right. Tell them you need to schedule an inspection for C/O, linden doesn't care much for situations where the buyer is responsible, usually the case when buying REO or short sale properties. They will require you sign off accepting responsibility of any work done without permits, filing for the permits as well and BE ON TIME with the keys waiting to meet the inspector, he will not wait more than 5 minutes for you and you will need to pay to have him come back out again.

I'd post the inspection forms here for you but Linden won't accept the applications if not used on their colored paper. Sorry...

If you'd like a real estate agent to help you with a purchase I'd be glad to help and take care of all of this for you.

FYI: Any work to obtain C/O will need to be completed within 60 days after closing and permits applied for within 30 days of closing if you get a temp c/o or face fines.

As a life long linden resident and very familiar with linden real estate, I know the town inside out and would be glad to help if you don't already have an agent. Don't worry about cost, the seller will pay my fee.

Victor Kaminski
Broker of Record
Marivic GMAC Real Estate
2056A Lincoln Hwy. (Rt.27)
Edison, NJ 08817-3330
Office: 732-650-9911 Ext.302
Cellular: 908-884-5757
2 votes
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Tue Feb 16, 2010
The CO is usually obtained PRIOR to closing. If your agent has not already provided you with all the necessary information, call the municipal offices in Linden and find out what you may need to do to pass the CO inspection, how long it takes for them to get someone in to do the inspection, and how you apply for them to come.
Then call the fire department and ask how to go about applying for and obtaining the fire certificate and what needs to be done to obtain it.
2 votes
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Tue Feb 16, 2010
Hi Kimmie,
Congratulations on your purchase.
To get a c/o you'll need to go to the borough hall before you close and make an appt for an inspection. Sometimes they will provide you with a list of the items they will be checking at that inspection. Make sure everything is in order for the inspection, or they will have to come back and re-inspect. Usually, they will charge you for a second visit (as well as for the initial inspection.) Inquire as to whether or not the c/o inspection will include the fire certification. Some towns do separate inspections, others do it all in one. For the fire certification you'll need the fire hydrant (mounted) as well as carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. The town should be able to give you a map that shows where each must be positioned. Bring extra batteries with you and a screw driver just in case you've put one up in the wrong spot or one of the batteries is dead. Again, you don't want to fail.
Web Reference:
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Linden Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more