Building a custom home

Asked by Danwdude, Lake To Gulf Estates, Port Richey, FL Wed Feb 6, 2013

Hello experts,
We are planning to build our first custom home, we have a vacant lot we purchased and paid off, we are first time home builders and we like to try the option of hiring contractors and building ourself. What is the normal process to follow from now on to get the foundation in? what should we first look at? anything is appreciated

Answers

5
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Wed Sep 25, 2013
You're going to need a licensed contractor if you're planning on using a construction loan. You also going to want to be prepared to move froward in a sequential manner. I do not recommend putting in a foundation and letting it sit there for an extended period of time.

Depending on your skill set and experience you, as well as the constraints of your site and any pertinent zoning considerations, the first step is to site your home giving thought to things such as view, the path of the sun, any significant trees or existing landscape features you may wish to preserve, elevation features, etc. If you are going to need a septic system then depending on where it's to be located you may want or need to have it done first.

It's really important that you understand the entire building process so that you can sequence work properly, failing to do so will cost you both time and money and can be extremely frustrating not only to you but to the sub contractors having to do the work. You also really want to work on your house plan while it's still in the paper stage. Moving walls, and making changes in print is relatively easy and inexpensive, while making changes in the field can cost some real money.

Look around and find yourself a licensed contractor that has a good reputation who is willing to work closely with you and perhaps even allow you to handle some of the tasks that your suited for.

Building a home can be a very exciting and rewarding experience but it can also become overwhelming particularly if it's not what you do all the time. I wish you the best of luck and hope you end up with a home you really love.
, ,
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Hire a builder.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
Web Reference:  http://jamessimms.com/
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Thu Feb 7, 2013
I agree with Dan below completely. You will also need to get a general contractors license if you plan on getting a construction loan because that is how they will want to release funds. Feel free to contact me directly with questions or for help.

Good luck to you in any case,
Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction
Web Reference:  http://tristarfinance.com
Susan Gardner, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Wed Feb 6, 2013

I would love to be of help to you, and to share ideas. Please feel free to call or email me to discuss options.

Susan Gardner
Real Estate Broker
Keller Williams Realty Bellevue
susan.gardner@comcast.net
425-635-8088
http://susan-gardner.com
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Vajjas,
Congratulations, you are taking on a huge project. If you are not an experienced builder, contractor you need a Consultant at the very least. I had a friend use a Builder Consultant who walked them through every aspect of the process from designs, permits, and foundation to finish work. They had contractors on file but my friend used a mixture of their list and contractors he already knew. His home turned out great and well below hiring a General Contractor to manage the whole thing.
His savings however came as the result of a huge amount of time, knowledge and project management experience he already had. If you can't take on a second job, dedicate many nights and weekends then you need to hire a full time building contractor.
Hi Dan, I am also interested in your advice on who to turn to because we are in a similar situation with buying/building. Can you also refer the consultant? Thank you!
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
Hi Dan, So basically what you are saying is, unless we did this before we need to hire general contractor. Are there any resources or person we can hire to do the project management or is it not recommended?
Flag Wed Feb 6, 2013