crimson8888, Home Buyer in 20152

Builder is selling me a spec home. there are 3 spec homes on the block that are not under contract..how much of a discount can i expect to get.?

Asked by crimson8888, 20152 Sat Jan 25, 2014

Answers

8
Abby Matson, Agent, Denver, CO
Tue Jan 28, 2014
I agree with a lot of the comments below. If there are other builders in the area that you would also consider, definitely compare pricing and let them know that you're shopping elsewhere. I recently worked with a client who did just that. We found a home they loved but after seeing what was included they were not getting much value for the price. It was easy to get drawn into the model home but in reality they would not be getting any upgrades. The sales person kept telling us that their prices were firm and that they didn't negotiate on price or upgrades. We kept looking and over time the salesperson contacted us several times letting us know that they were willing to offer x,y, and z incentive since they were trying to meet a quota for the month. In the end my clients ended up finding a different builder that offered lots of upgrades as an inclusion and in my opinion they are getting a lot more value for the money. My advice would be to definitely shop and compare and make sure that you're not overpaying for a home just because it's new. Hope this is helpful!
Misty Mount, Agent, Yorktown, VA
Tue Jan 28, 2014
Builders do not budge on the base prices of their homes. A lot of builders are doing specs right now because inventory is low in resale and it gives them a head start in the Spring when the market picks up.
They will offer you "buyer incentives", whether it's for using their title company or lender, or even discounts on upgrades. But you will not get a discount because it's a spec home.
Mary Langford, Agent, Vienna, VA
Sun Jan 26, 2014
Mary Langford - Zip Reatly 703-554-9805

The Chantilly, South Riding and Lenah Area has many builders. I sold several new home communities in that location. I would look at what the other builders in that area are offering for a home the same size, with similar interior and lot size. Compare the prices and see if the home you want is comparable to what the other builders have. I would check recent sales for the same model you are looking to buy. I have sold new homes and know that they do have some negotiation room, like closing costs, adding a deck or patio, extra moulding, hardwoods and more. However it all depends how much inventory they have or how much competition they have. If you need assistance please don't hesitate to contact me. It is true that the market has improved but you are still the buyer. It does not cost you anything to use an agent to assist you. Unfortunately its when buyers have an issue come up in the process that they need an agent to protect them.

I hope this helps you and if you need any help call me. Wish you Luck.

Sincerely, Mary Langford - MaryLangford123@yahoo.com. Zip Realty
Kathy Hessler, Agent, Lansdowne, VA
Sun Jan 26, 2014
Because there is such an inventory issue across the nation, builders are booming and staying firm on their base prices. With that said, it never hurts to push the envelope. If we help you with the sale of your town house, as part of my service, I will advise you with the builder at no cost to you... please call us today. 703-615-1493, http://www.kathyhessler.com
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sun Jan 26, 2014
Most builders are near firm in their base prices. With a shortage of home sin most markets new construction is HOT. Most builders are more open to adding reduced or even free upgrades than lower their base prices. Having a buyer broker who is well experience din new construction sure can help you negotiate.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sun Jan 26, 2014
No way of knowing, and while you may think three spec homes is a lot, in reality it isn't. The best advice I can offer you is to find yourself a qualified buyer broker who has experience with new construction. It won't cost you anything and will likely save you money, time and aggravation. I've attached a link below that will help you understand what you should be looking for in a buyers agent. After reading it, check out the "Find an Agent" tab in the green bar at the top of every Trulia page and enter the zipcode where the houses are looking for, and then call some of the agents listed and start interviewing them.
Arslan and S…, Agent, Leesburg, VA
Sun Jan 26, 2014
Hello Crimson,

It really depends on the builder if they choose to give you a discount. I would be happy to help you compare other similar homes in South Riding area.

Arslan Jamil
571-242-0301
Arslan@thejamilbrothers.com
Samson Properties
Offer Cash Back to all my buyers!
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sat Jan 25, 2014
Crimson,
No way for us to know. One strategy is to ask for upgrades or closing cost concessions. The builder is more likely to grant these, as the price won't reflect a discount, but you still get a value. You need a great local agent to compare what this builder is offering and see if it's in line with what others similar homes have sold for.