Brighton Homes in Meridian

Asked by MCJ, San Diego County, CA Mon May 28, 2012

I'm hearing that Brighton might have financial troubles; stock of parent company at $2. Have any builders in this area gone bankrupt? Can anyone comment on how Brighton behaves in this area of Idaho? Lots of negative blogging in other states.

Answers

5
MCJ’s answer
MCJ, Home Buyer, San Diego County, CA
Mon May 28, 2012
I am so pleased an impressed with the responsiveness and professionalism of the responders. I am considering purchasing a home from Brighton and got only excellent reports. The representatives with whom I have met have been lovely. However, a friend of mine connected the Brighton name with K. Hovnanian Homes (based in Houston), a publicly-traded company and contacted me with his concerns.
Due diligence is always a part of the process when one is making a significant financial commitment, and I appreciate the clarification you have provided. Everything about Brighton felt right, my own research about the principals checked out, so my friend's concern was troubling to me.

Thank you, all, for your information.
Brightonbuil…, Home Seller, Boise, ID
Mon May 28, 2012
Response from Brighton Homes - Idaho

We are not affiliated with any other Brighton Homes entities operating in any other State. We are a privately held company that has been in business in Idaho for nearly two decades. We only build homes in Idaho and more specifically in the Boise Metropolitan Area. We are well known for our excellent business practices as well as our unmatched customer service and quality products.

The company in question happens to use our name in Texas and possibly a few other States. They have no relationship to Brighton Homes LLC or Brighton Corporation (our parent company).

You can contact me directly if you would like to know more about Brighton Homes (Idaho) or visit our web page at http://www.brightonhomes-Idaho.com.

Lars Hansen, President
Brighton Homes - Idaho
Lhansen@brightoncorp.com
Thanks for clearing this up Lars. I was going to call Dave on Tuesday and tell him he might want to have one of his people comment and you beat me to it. I gave your answer a "thumbs up".

Jim
Flag Mon May 28, 2012
Sharon Walker, Agent, Boise, ID
Tue May 29, 2012
Since you are in San Diego County, CA, you must be speaking about a Brighton Home which builds in your area. We have a Brighton Home builder here in Boise, ID and they are not affiliated with any other Brighton Homes that I am aware of. I have done a build job transaction with them and all I can say is that they were great to work with and followed through on all of the items that were addressed during our transaction. I would never hesitate to have them build a home for any client I would have. Their homes are very well done and my clients were very pleased with their home.

You asked if any building in this area have gone bankrupt. When the market was hit, many builders were caught holding more properties than they could get rid of. There were builders that had to do things to get out of a bind but those builders that are still building have weathered the storm and are doing well. New construction in our area is moving along at a steady pace and prices are good. If you are interested in knowing more about our area, please let me know.

Thank you for your time.
Jim Paulson, Agent, Boise, ID
Mon May 28, 2012
I am pretty sure that you are talking about a different "Brighton Homes". The local Brighton Homes is based here and doesn't build out of state (that I know of).

I have closed brand new homes with over 50 separate builders here in the Boise area and yes, we have had a lot of builders go bankrupt do to the economy and the ones that are left should probably survive for the near term. As a buyer you should always get an expanded title endorsement (ALTA policy) to help protect against mechanic's liens just in case). Lien releases help but are still not fool proof!

I would gladly still work with the people at Brighton Homes as they have always been very professional, and fair on both their development and their building sides.

Hope this helps!
Jim
Brian Brump…, Agent, Boise, ID
Mon May 28, 2012
I helped some clients purchase a Brighton home in the Paramount subdivision last August. I check in with them regularly and they've been thrilled with it. At the time, it was a very competitively priced home, the fit and finish were great, and the layout was well planned. I thought their walkthrough process which included educating the buyer how to handle warranty issues, explaining the features and functions of the house and its systems, and addressing the buyer questions was well done.

I don't know anything in regards to their financial situation or their behavior in the other states. I do think it's an important question to ask any builder, especially in regards to custom built homes. A home buyer will want to feel secure in knowing that the builder has the financial ability to get them from start to finish. I would say part of the due diligence process should include conversations between buyer and builder, and if you've got representation buyer's agent and builder in regards to this.

Speculating online about such things can lead to misinformation. If you're contemplating purchasing a home from Brighton, or any builder in the valley for that matter, the integrity-based thing to do would be asking them directly to address concerns about information received or uncovered. If it’s something you’re not comfortable doing, get your agent to do it; they’re paid to represent your best interest.
Web Reference:  http://www.BrianBrumpton.com