Home Buying in 50311>Question Details

Wendy, Home Buyer in 50311

Breach of contract

Asked by Wendy, 50311 Thu Sep 30, 2010

I bought a house last year and it stated in the sales listing that it has new roof, siding, windows and electric. I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen and I kept getting zapped by the outlets. My friend is a contractor and looked at the house and stated that there are iold wires mixed with newer wires and was not legally installed. I cant pull up a permit on the proprty and the sales disclosure from the sellers only states that repairs to the electric were made in 2004. We found boxes in the attic insulation and coiled wires that i dont think that anyone can sort through. It was all hidden in the attic and we had to dig to find the wires that were intentional coverage with old and new insulation and cardboard boxes on the top. I think that I was mislead with the advertisement and I feel I should not have to pay. I did hire an inspector that would have never been able to find the problem unless he dug into the attic intentional to find it. Could I have a case?

Help the community by answering this question:


Wolvers Steve’s answer
I would say alot will depend on the state laws where you live, with that said an attorney consoltation would be highly recomended.

The key questions I saw were that you had to dig to find these isues, many electrical upgrades use the old original rires in the walls and attic also many states say home owners the occupy there home do not need permits to do repairs fdor their own homes only if a outside company is doing the work.

The sellers disclosure is to their knowledge so depending on how long they owned the home they may have never had a need to go into the attic to ever find what you have meaning that may have been their prior to them owning this home and simply have no knowledge of it

Good Luck and I would assume with the shocking issues the home inspector should have noticed something wrong with his tester for outlets I would ask what he noted thru out the home too
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 18, 2012
Well, the first thing I would be doing is to pull out all the disclosures and inspections you got on the property when you bought it. I would also call the agent that you worked with as if you can't find all your disclosures the agent has copies. Was anything said in the disclosures about permits? Once you have all your paperwork together then you may want to find a real estate attorney to consult with and also bring your contract from the sale for them to review all docs and see what your options are.
Good Luck, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 30, 2010
I would definitely contact an attorney to see where to go from here. In my opinion, I think you have a case worth looking into, but cannot say if it will turn into anything. There are several ways this could go, each with its own outcome. Contacting the real estate attorney will guide you on the best path to take.

I am really sorry for your situation, but suggest you look into it. Hopefully something will work out for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 30, 2010
In order to accurately determine if you have a case--do consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in real estate--see exactly what options you may have--then go from there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 30, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer