Best suburb for 30yr old single male.

Asked by Tony Campos, Naperville, IL Sat Jun 1, 2013

I'm 30 year old single male that likes to go out quite often. The city would be ideal for me, but I honestly hate dealing with all the traffic and parking problems in the city; plus I like privacy which the city doesn't offer with all the apartment buildings. I also love doing outdoor activities like canoeing, biking, etc.

I'm looking to purchase a home, but I'm not quite sure where I want to be. What do you think are my best options?

1. Needs to have easy access to the city; as I work one block away from Union Station in Chicago.

2. Must have somewhat of a nightlife as I like to go out.

3. My be affordable for me, my purchase budget is between 250 and 300k.

4. Must not have crazy insane property taxes

5. I don't care much about shopping, I do most of my shopping online, except for food.

6. Must have some good restaurants. I tend to eat out quite often as well

7. Must have highways accessible since I drive all over to visit family and friends throughout the Chicagoland area

Answers

20
Brendan Ross, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Jun 5, 2013
I would have to agree with Manuel Brown. The area on the east side of the Chicago River, just south of Addison is great. However, if you are strictly looking for a near Suburb, what about Evanston? It is close enough to the city, but if you live on the north side, traffic isn't so bad.

Other options to consider are Shaumburg or Naperville. If you work in the city, Naperville might be better for a public transportation commute. Heck, even if you drive, Naperville is probably better. The 90/94 between the city and Shaumburg is a nightmare because of O;Hare during rush hour.

Just a few things to consider...
Web Reference:  http://www.chicagoRElaw.com
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jun 3, 2013
Tony,

Have you considered hidden gem area in Chicago along the Chicago River? The Chicago Park District is also building a new canoe, kayaking , facility at Addison Ave on the east side of the river.

I have friends in these areas and they are nice.
Mark Malave, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
I'm not sure if people are reading what he posted. He was looking for near suburbs, not the city.
Web Reference:  http://Www.markmalave.com
Don Pasek, , Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
Hi, Tony:

Let me be the first to tell you that many young people share your angst! Where to live? How to choose?

Chicago and its environs have dozens of places that could meet the criteria you outlined above. BTW, not every city neighborhood with good restaurants and transport has parking problems.

However, neither I nor any of my colleagues can tell you where to live, or even where to search for a property. If we did, not only would you probably not be satisfied with the results, but we'd also be breaking the law.

Federal statute prohibits the practice of "steering," in which a real estate agent or broker only shows property in selected cities or neighborhoods to a client based solely on the agent's opinion of where the client might be comfortable and the client's demographics. To avoid breaking this law, and to better serve the needs of clients, real estate agents and brokers generally start working with a client by asking a number of geographically-oriented questions, for example:

1. Where do you live now? What do you like/dislike about this location?

2. How far from work/schoo/church/other interests do you want to be? To which do you want to be most proximate?

When the client decides which point of interest is most important, the broker can then begin to look for homes within a requested radius, driving time, travel time, etc. Although you've given a pretty good list of things you like and dislike about neighborhoods, it doesn't help your agent to narrow down the possibilities.

Start with the points above, and provide your selected agent with the answers. I'm sure you'll be in your new place in no time at all! Happy hunting!

Don Pasek, CIPS, TRC, ADPR
Omniterra Real Properties
Chicago
Mark Malave, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
Has anyone else noticed that Randall gives the same response for all questions?
Lavette Jones, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Jun 5, 2013
I have the perfect property w/ available parking.

Follow this link: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search?mlslid=08316334

Thanks for viewing and good luck!!!
Alison Hillm…, , San Francisco, CA
Tue Jun 4, 2013
Check out Trulia's community info too!

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Chicago-Illinois/community-info/

Hope this helps,

Ali, Community Manager
Seth Captain, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Jun 4, 2013
If you would like to remain single, do not like dating, and enjoy a solitary life accented with the fragrant smells of Olive Garden and a bored local police force prone to speed traps and excessive DUI stops, then I think any suburb you choose would be wonderful.
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Mon Jun 3, 2013
Do you work?

Options do exist, but it will depend on how far you are willing to commute.

Feel free to contact me should you need any assistance.
Bob Brandt, Agent, Schaumburg, IL
Sun Jun 2, 2013
The Schaumburg area appeals to everyone, regardless of their age, marital status or sex, due to the great bike paths, forest preserves, low taxes, commuter train, highway access, shopping, food stores, nightlife, park district, parks, baseball team, small airport and so much more.
You would get a great home for your price range in Schaumburg or an even newer or less expensive home, one town west in Streamwood.
Nicholas Rad…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jun 2, 2013
Tony,
My first question to you would be, what don't you like about Naperville? Working one block from Union Station certainly opens up a lot of communities to you, as far as your work week commute goes.
Nick Radakovich Home Sales Realty
Thomas Kossn…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
I can help you find a place. I customize my searches specifically for each client. As far as which suburbs? I would suggest Oak Park, Evanston, maybe Park Ridge which is close to the city as well. I don't know if you want to go out as far as Schaumburg. Great place if you really like chain restaurants and fast food, which I don't think you probably do. I would be happy to discuss this with you.
Thanks for your questions and good luck to you!
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
email me at jmichaels@remax.net and I will send you my list of properties
Santiago Ken…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
North Center its perfect , very close to the lake , i do kite surfing , Skate , Padle boarding , i own a House in that area and the lake is pretty close , with very good restaurants , i am very happy i was living for 7 years in Downtown Gold coast in a luxury high rise and was just OK
Abu Musa, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Jun 1, 2013
You may visit http://www.homefacts.com .
Abu Musa, Agent, New York, NY
Sat Jun 1, 2013
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
Check out west river north, wicker park, buck town, west town, ukr village. Explore them and see which fits your personality the best.
Sohail Salah…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
Tony

There are lots of areas that would work for you from Evanston to Logan Square to Bridgeport.

What does your ideal home look like?

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder and Team Leader

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"
Mark Malave, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
Evanston is probably the next best thing. It has a Metra and L line running through it. There a lakefront, beaches, real restaurants, nightlife and a good long term place to live as well. Much less traffic than the western burbs.
Web Reference:  http://Www.mredllc.net
Laurie Chris…, Agent, Oak Park, IL
Sat Jun 1, 2013
You may want to consider the Oak Park / Forest Park areas; they're quite popular with young professionals like yourself. Feel free to reach out to me!