Home Buying in Pennsylvania>Question Details

pdnemeth, Home Owner in Tampa, FL

Bank extended our mortgage loan by one year . . . said original loan contract end date was wrong?

Asked by pdnemeth, Tampa, FL Mon Feb 11, 2013

We paid an extra YEAR or 12 mos on our fixed rate MLA and odd that another payment book came; on 105K and 192 payments of $936.17 per month. Contacted the Comptroller of the Currency in Houston, TX who governs federal banks but the bank replied with the original mortgage contract had the wrong end date; started 3/1992 and should have ended 3/2007 but they extended it until 3/2008; continued to pay for fear they would foreclose our home. Can I contact anyone; consulted with local atty but he is not interested to help. This bank went through THREE mergers and I think they lost our payment history!!
Any recourse? Patti

THANKS for your replies regarding my situation!
Mrs. Nemeth, I believe you. However, belief is not enough. In this case, you will need proof. Best of luck!
My cousin is a CPA and I did retain 90% of my checks/receipts but the fact of the matter still stands that the explanation they reported to OCC was its a case of simple math and that 105K divided by $936= loan. NO! We paid a 13th payment each year along the way here and there and payments of 1K several on many months over the 15 years. . . if anything, the loan's length of term should have been reduced by a few months! I worked for the ORIGINAL Nazareth National Bank in 1990 when the loan was CONTRACTED and dealt with Rich Leduca; no problems until these banks starting merging and losing my numbers!!!
Patti, try reaching out to the new federal consumer protection agency. (See link below)

I would also recommend that you calculate out your payments to see if they match your debts, but that could be a little complicated, and you might need to talk to an accountant.