Jack, Home Buyer in 94085

2BR/2.5 Bath @ Fusion Sunnyvale

Asked by Jack, 94085 Wed Jan 25, 2012

My wife and I are interested in buying our first home and came across Fusion Sunnyvale. The 2BR 2.5 Bath floorplan seems within our budget (~ $460K...10% down and a loan for the remaining amount). We plan to live in the house for 4-5 years and then rent it/sell it. At the end of this period we plan to buy another 3-4 BR single family house. Given the not so great neighborhood and schools in the area, could someone please guide us if it is a good property from an investment standpoint? Schools don't really matter to us, but might be a concern if we try to sell the house later. The plus side seems to be easy access to 101 and proximity to major tech companies in the area.

Thank you for your help!

Hi Jack,

I am not a realtor. My wife and I just went into contract with one of the unit at Fusion. I just want to give you our side of the reason so you can better make decision.
We used to live in a house in Saratoga which is a far better community and has great schools. The value appreciated a lot when we sold it not long ago (I know it is not the beter time to sell)
We choose Fusion because
1. Our child wend to college so we are empty nester
2. We lived in bay area for more thatn twenty years and we live the convenience of the location. We looked new houses in other locations
3. We believe the property in Sunnyvale will at least keep apprecating even though it is not going to appreciate as much as locations like Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Altos and etc.
4. It is a great time to get into the market as housing price is generally depressed
5. this location is easy for signle professionals to live and work so no problem for future rental if we choose to do so
6. As we getting towards retirement, Condo give us good advantage that we don't have to a lot of maintainence work. Good luck with a large yard and swimming pool

I hope this can give you some data for making a good decision.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 16, 2012
A question like this was posted not that long ago, and I'd say the answer would be about the same. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a new home within your budget, however, the most important rule is: location, location, location. With your desire to own a home in a more desirable location and school district, my concern is with the spread that could occur over the next 4-5 years with the appreciation of the desired home outpacing the value on the condominium. Generally better neighborhoods with better schools fare better in appreciating markets, so the question to you would be can you bridge that gap when that time comes. Condo's typically have a lower rate of appreciation than single family homes, which is another factor to be considered if that market is trending up. But ultimately, you have to decide what kind of home you really want to be in, and whether you've explored other housing options before jumping ahead. A good agent should be able to help you sort it all out, sound like more data and perhaps more looking are in order. Wish you well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
Hi Jack,

Generally speaking, the golden rule of thumb always holds true regarding property value: location, location, location! Of course, you may have your own priorities now, so I recommend: come up with some top criteria you are looking for in a property, e.g. is enjoying newer condition/amenities more important than value appreciation within next 5 to 10 years? In fact, 94085 Sunnyvale is a quite decent area (depending on which other zip codes you're comparing to). One advantage, as you mentioned, is its close proximity to tech-hub area of Santa Clara where hundreds of IT firms are situated; so from investment perspective, in the next 5 - 10 years, if you were to upgrade to a single house while renting this fusion unit out, you shall easily find a good IT tenant :)

Daniel Shi
1.888.785.8818 ext.100
Hi Jack

It all comes down to affordability in your price range for a new home with schools and great locale.
Fusion is new, close to high tech and with a great address, furthermore, the property will appreciate
Nicely down the road, as there are always buyers who are looking for proximity to work, and are Likely to be single or double income with no kids.

If you want schools and locale and a new home, then you have to Up the Purchase Price, if you want
A reasonable Return on Investment; Fusion will be just fine.

Greg, Sheila, and Allyson are correct. If you want a good property from an investment standpoint, then location, neighborhood and schools are the most important factors. This question keeps coming up. A week or two ago I wrote a long response to someone else who had this question. To make a long story short, I tracked the appreciation over time of 3 houses back in the early 1990s - a new house in a decent, so-so neighborhood with average schools vs. an old beat up small house in Cupertino vs. a foreclosed house in Los Gatos with an empty swimming pool and toilets removed. The old beat up Cupertino and Los Gatos houses tripled in value. The new owner could remodel the house, fill in the pool, install toilets, etc. and you could have a new house in a great location. Meanwhile, as the years went by, the new house in the mediocre location was no longer new and didn't appreciate as much.
I agree with Greg & Sheila remember what you don't like about the area and schools is what future buyers will not like. What you need to do is really take your time with a realtor and your search to get the kind of home,townhome you really like. Chances are that when you go to sell it buyers will like it too.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
At your service,
CDPE-Certified Distressed Property Expert
DRE# 01397256