Austin, TX has some great areas! I'm interested in moving there and want to be wise about location, location

Asked by Mark, Huntington Beach, CA Tue Dec 30, 2008

& location. I'm looking to spend between $325-$400K (3 Br, 2 Ba, 2 CG pool if possible and 2200 SqFt). Commuteing is not an issue. What areas should i be looking and why? Thank you in advance for your valued opinion.

Answers

6
Betina Foreman’s answer
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Dec 31, 2008
Dear Mark,
There are plenty of neighborhoods that could work for you. Zilker, Travis Heights or Barton Hills are all very close to downtown and night life, Lakeway, Hudsen Bend and Lago Vista are close to the lake if you enjoy water-sports. Dripping Springs would work if you want a larger yard or more privacy. Northwest Hills or Hyde Park could work if you want a strong community environment. What type of amenities appeal to you? If you give me a better idea of what you want I could send you some actual listings to look at. I have lived here 20+ years and I can help you find the right neighborhood and home.
Betina
Web Reference:  http://www.BetinaForeman.com
Josh Thomas, , Austin, TX
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Hi Mark,
The greatest concentration of homes that match your criteria (3br, 2200-2500sqft, $325-400k) is in Lakeway. There are 9 homes here that meet your needs. Lakeway is basically a suburb of Austin sitting on Lake Travis with easy access to the Beaches, boat ramps, and Waterside entertainment. Lakeway is about a 20-25 minute drive to downtown. Lakeway homes in your price range provide some of the most breathtaking views of the Lake and surrounding Hill Country.

There are also 5 homes in Central Austin that fall into your range. Downtown is literally 5 minutes away. You have easy access to major highways, Austin culture, and local events. Central Austinites are often a different breed in that the Austin neighborhoods (Tarrytown, Clarksvile, Barton Hills) each have their own identity as close nit communities. Most of these people whom I've encountered think the rest of us are crazy for living more than 5 minutes from all the action.

Yet 5 more properties are in Southwest Austin. The best way to describe this zone is urban suburban. You will still find many trends and attitudes of the downtown scene, but things are a little more relaxed and you have a bit more space to stretch your legs. Homes hold their value here due to the proximity to town and quality construction of the community.

Finally, there are 3 homes in Dripping Springs you might like. Dripping Springs is a rural community where there is an interesting weave of high end homes and abundant farmland passed down through the generations. While it continues to grow, most of the folks I know in 'Drip' seem to like things just the way they are.

Some of the other areas mentioned below (Round Rock, Northwest Hills, Steiner Ranch, etc.) are also great choices. What I have found though is that the homes here are typically larger than what you specified for the price. Round Rock is dealing with sagging home values due to increased inventory. You might find some great deals on houses here, but there is no telling when their value will sustain. Northwest Hills is a wonderful place with captivating mountaintop views, but these homes are typically priced well into the $400's and above. Steiner Ranch homes hold value fairly well, but again, they are quite large.

If you are looking for a new home, then Leander offers the best value for your buck right now. Crystal Falls is an incredible community where you can get a top notch new home in a master-planned community for a relative value.

Hope this helps. You may contact me if you are interested in receiving these highly targeted listings or new home suggestions.

Good luck and remember..."It's ok that you aren't from Texas. Just get here as fast as you can.:)"
Donna L. Wa…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Hi Mark, You sound like a single person. If so you will be interested in a close proximity to downtown and the entertainment, music district and nightlife. (We have theatre, Broadway shows, symphony, arts etc. to go along with live music nightclubs and concerts.) That would be anywhere from north of Ben White (Hwy 290) west of IH 35 west of Hwy 71, this is considered south (soco district) Austin. If you go north of the River, west of IH 35 and south of Hwy 2222 you are in central Austin (students and young professionals) . If you north of Hwy 2222, west of IH35 and south of Hwy 183 you are in north Austin (more family area). These are all good locations with homes to fit your requirements. No pools for the most part. Highways to get you in and out of downtown easily, great restaurants and easy access to UT and most medical facilities. I love Austin and I've lived in 13 states and 3 continents. This is my favorite location with the most diversified opportunities. Welcome to Austin. Donna Watson
Web Reference:  http://donnawatson.com
John Watts, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Mark,

First, I would recommend you do a level tour of the Austin Metro Area. There are numerous areas, both new and resale that offer great housing with amenities within your price range. Some other things you may want to consider are school and shopping, since commuting is not an issue. I would be happy to provide you with a relocation package and assistance in finding your new home. Please free to contact me at your convenience using my web site. This site offers many tool and valuable information.
Richard Haen…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Mark:

Congratulations on your decision to move to Austin! You will not regret it!!!

Your requirements will be very easy to match in many different areas of Austin. With your budget, you will be able to raise the sqft substaintially. As an example, you can buy new construction in a number of Austin area communities over 4000sqft for just under 400k. A couple of these areas are Walsh Ranch in Round Rock and The Ranch at Brushy Creek in Cedar Park. I have recently sold a home in The Ranch and have another family looking at Walsh Ranch.

Austin is a rectangle with four quadrants. Depending on what is important to you - ammenities, schools, social, work, outdoor, etc... you can find homes in each of these areas.

A few of the areas that I would suggest are as follows:

1. Dripping Springs - more texas experience - larger lots, views, rustic,
2. Round Rock - great schools
3. Cedar Park - close to lite rail
4. Leander - close to lite rail
5. Lakeway - excellent schools and right on Lake Travis
6. Austin - Northwest, Northwest Hills - schools, location, value and stable market
7. South West Austin - close to Hill Country, proximity to downtown, realtive value

Communities:

1. Steiner Ranch
2. Canyon Creek
3. Northwest Hills
4. Westover Hills
5. Belterra
6. The Ranch at Brushy Creek
7. Walsh Ranch
8. Hidden Glen
9. Terravista

I have had my best year yet this year with mutilple million dollar production months for September, October and November. My business is booming and I would love to work with you. Please let me know how I can help you make the decision to move.

Ritch Haenke, Realtor
Coldwell Banker United
512.633.3909 - mobile
rhaenke@sbcglobal.net
Web Reference:  http://www.richardhaenke.com
Jeff Kessler, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Dec 30, 2008
Mark,
Really depends on what you like. We have places with great views or if you like to be close to Downtown there are some good deals around.
What part of town are you going to work in? That would be a factor as well.
I would like to help.
Give me a call or email and I can get you more info.
J.
Web Reference:  http://www.realtyatx.com