Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

yabb54,  in Chicago, IL

At my closing I remembered hearing about the first settler who farmed my property. Where can I find this past owner historic information? Thanks!

Asked by yabb54, Chicago, IL Sat Nov 10, 2012

I've always thought it would have been cool if Chicago required homeowners and tenants to leave behind a small log documenting their residency. Even if it just said, "9 years of washing dishes and fixing things. Happy to be leaving.". At least you'd have some connection.

The Chicago History Museum has great resources to direct you where you need to look. Keep in mind that street numbers (and even names) have changed over the years in Chicago so you''ll need to look at old maps and surveys.

Here is a link from the city of Chicago,

that I have used before as another guide in the quest to find out who was the first human to look up at your ceiling and exclaim, "dear god, please remind me why I thought it was a good idea to buy this place again"

The Cook County Recorder of Deeds should have records of the entire history of the property.
Google the property, sometimes if theres historical information, google will find it. You can also look at your deed or look at the title search for the property.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
The reason you heard this at your closing because someone was reading the entire deed document. Your may have a copy of the deed in your closing packet. In Chicago the deed does not always have the entire property history listed, at least not the version you see at your closing, but it is usually there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
LOL... great question. A certain way is to do a title search. Not something that's easy to do. You can have a title company do it....or venture to the county recorder's office and do it yourself (pick an off day and staff can be helpful). Of course, in our digital age, much info on property is also available digitally. Try to "google" your address or any prior owners that you know. Another great resource is ancestry.com They have a treasure trove of public records that allow you to search by name, address or many other categories. There is a cost of course. Also, check with the library, your local one often has a wealth of info. You would be surprised what you can find. Good luck...and keep us posted! BTW, congrats on your purchase.

Rusty A. Payton, Broker
iMove Chicago
5650 N Broadway
Chicago, Illinois 60660

773-961-8819 [Office]
773-289-0806 [Fax]
773-682-5210 [Mobile]

e. payton@iMoveChicago.com

blog: iMoveBlog.com
Farms in Chicago?? Most cities and towns have historical and genealogical information at the local library. You can also research at the local Recorder's office where they keep all the real estate records on microfiche or maybe on computers now a days. There are also many historical societies that you can probably google and find local people who know a wealth of interesting information.
Yes, farms in Chicago. Orchard street got it's name for being an apple orchard; also one of the reasons that houses survived the Chicago Fire on that street (the distance between the trees made it harder for the fire to spread).
Flag Wed Nov 14, 2012