As a 2-officer AF couple, we're searching for an upper-end single family rental for a 4-5 year lease outside

Asked by Sidney Goehring, 45434 Tue Feb 19, 2008

Hanscom AFB while we rent out our OH home; we're not moving until Jun and would like to present the option as an investment opp to some homes for sale. What are options for this approach?

Answers

14
Jack Holbrook, , 01773, 01730, 01720, 02420 and all the colonial suburbs
Fri Feb 22, 2008
Hi Sidney,

There are some high end rentals in Lincoln, Concord and the immediate area. If you are hoping to rent under market value, properties that have been for sale for some time may be approachable. Most I live and work near the base -- if I can help please let me know.

Jack
Jim Johnson, , 78233
Tue Feb 19, 2008
Since you expect that your PCS move will be 4-5 years, you should at least consider buying if your finances permit. The first reply notwithstanding, a seller is not likely to see renting as a suitable alternative.
Steven Assar…, Agent, Lexington, MA
Sat Feb 9, 2013
The communities abutting Hanscom AFB are all in need of single family inventory. To compound the difficulty of your situation, new construction enjoys constant high demand in these communities. An isolated opportunity for a 4-5 year lease of an upper-end new/newer construction may be possible, however, developers are primarily interested in getting their investment out and working on their next profit making project. I am a Lexington agent and am only aware of one remote possibility that may fit the bill. Good luck!
Marita, , 02140
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Mr Flori 617-257-5758 re: Concord Road,Bedford Rental
Marita, , 02140
Fri Jan 7, 2011
I would be interested in speaking with you concerning a property I own at 245 Concord Rd accross from Hartwell. I would consider a rental. Four bedroom with two car heated garage. Please call me to discuss.

Thank you
Arthur Flori 617-257-575
Carol Feltman, Home Seller, Bedford, MA
Thu May 29, 2008
Hi Sidney, Thank you for your kind words. It all helps. I didn't know if we could leave phone numbers here but I guess we can. Mine is 781-275-6609. Sure, I can call you tomorrow. Is there any time that's better for you? If your husband is going to be in Boston this week and he wants to come over and look at the house, that would be fine with me. Talk to you soon. G'nite. Carol
Sidney Goehr…, Home Buyer, 45434
Thu May 29, 2008
Carol, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you to you & your husband for the many years of military/community service you've given and obviously continue to exemplify for your children/grandchildren. Can you give us a call at 937-320-1234. My husband is working a quick TDY Sun/Mon through Boston, so hopefully we can chat tomorrow or Sat. Sincerely, Sidney
Carol Feltman, Home Seller, Bedford, MA
Wed May 28, 2008
Hi Sidney, The MLS is #70752007. We built this house and it incorporates all the features we liked from the 16 different houses we lived in during my husband's 21-year USAF career. We added over 2,000 sq ft to the existing house when we adopted our 2 granddaughters in 2004. He died in January so we're moving to Virginia to live with one of my daughters rather than my trying to raise the little gals by myself.
If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer. Carol
Sidney Goehr…, Home Buyer, 45434
Wed May 28, 2008
Peter -- thanks for the preview, but we're looking for a 2+ car garage, 4/3, combo -- think we've got one in Acton. Thanks anyway, SG
Sidney Goehr…, Home Buyer, 45434
Tue May 27, 2008
Hi, Carol -- we've not finalized anything yet, so could you send me the MLS # to review the key specifics? I don't know how to engage you off-line from this public forum: pls advise so we could follow-up further. Thanks, Sidney
Carol Feltman, Home Seller, Bedford, MA
Tue May 27, 2008
I'm moving to Virginia the first week in July and my home in Bedford is for sale right now. If it doesn't sell by the end of June, I would consider renting it. Are you still looking for something?
Carol F.
Mary, Both Buyer And Seller,
Fri Feb 22, 2008
Hi Sidney,
here's a link to a local publication that list rentals
http://sob.re.adicio.com/properties/search/searchForm.php?qT…
Winchester is a great town..but not very many rentals now..found the following
WINCHESTER Walk to ctr & trains, 3BR, brick, deleaded, hdwd flrs, yrd, bsmnt, pkg. $2495 htd- 781-721-1122
The other place is the Boston Globe
http://www.boston.com/realestate/
Towns like Lexington, Woburn, Burlington will probably have more rentals than Lincoln, Bedford, Concord.
Craigs list may also have listings
Best of luck
Mary
Judy Boyle, Agent, Marlborough, MA
Wed Feb 20, 2008
Hi Sidney,

I would agree that you might be better off to purchase something given that you know you will be stationed at Hanscom for 4-5 years. There is, however, the occasional "upper-end single family" rental. When they become available, they typically rent quickly. Since you are not moving out until June, I would recommend you start looking for rentals closer to that date (unless you are willing to pay rent for the months prior to your actual move.) I'd be glad to send you some representative listings so you can get a sense of what's available. Best wishes!

Judy
Andrew Adams, , 01915
Tue Feb 19, 2008
You may want to contact some folks that are financilally in trouble. Pre- Foreclosure list, you might find a current homeowner that is in financial trouble that would be better off renting the property to you rather than letting the home go into foreclosure. May take some leg work but you might end up saving someone from foreclosure and getting yourself a decent rental.