As a home buyer, if I find a property online and contact the listing agent to see the property do I have to pay that agent a commission if I buy it?

Asked by Sweetseams, 60467 Thu Dec 31, 2009

Answers

10
Zaza Pasori’s answer
Zaza Pasori, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Sep 13, 2010
Sellers pay the real estate commissions. You should get a real estate agent to represent you if you decide to buy because who`s representing whom is very important.
Finding a property is a easy step, taking this property to the settlement may be a lot of work for you.

--
Zaza Pasori | PenFed Realty
2722 Connecticut Ave NW # 72 Washington, DC 20008
T. 202-412-5221 F. 703-716-0017
http://www.penfedrealty.com

Equal Housing Opportunity
John Litrenta, Agent, Schaumburg, IL
Wed Jan 15, 2014
Buyers have the luxury of getting their Real Estate broker for No Charge.....

The only request we have as brokers is: In order for me to put forth the time it takes to
provide the necessary level of service, I ask for your loyalty in return. Fair enough?

Thank You
John Litrenta
McColly Real Estate
Jim McLaughl…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Thu May 30, 2013
It depends on your written agreement with the Agent. In general, commissions are paid by the Seller at closing date.
Tony Verhagen, , Orland Park, IL
Mon Sep 13, 2010
Absolutely not ........ the commission is paid by the seller of the property to the listing company. And they will pay the agent.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Dec 31, 2009
The seller pays the commission--consider--since the seller has representation, you may wish to get representation of your own.

Anna
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Dec 31, 2009
As a buyer, you get to use an agent for free. I would advise you to go out and get a good buyers agent. This way you have someone who represents you. When you call the listing agent up, they are looking out for their client, not you. Call up 2-3 agents and go with the person you mesh best with. I grew up in orland park, so I would be happy to help you find a place.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRO
mlamericorp@aol.com
708-250-2696
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Dec 31, 2009
You don't have to pay that agent a commission, the Seller is already doing so.
Tim Ireland, , New Lenox, IL
Thu Dec 31, 2009
You should NEVER have to pay a commission as the buyer. If it is listed on the MLS than the sellers are offering a commission already to the buyers agent. As said already though, I would not recommend using the listing agent to represent you when they are already representing the sellers. Find an agent that you can trust and that is NOT going to charge you anything. I would be more than happy to show you any homes you're interested in and will never charge you a dime regardless of how little the sellers are willing to pay me. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further. You can call me at 815-215-4018. Happy New Years!
Web Reference:  http://Www.timireland.com
Wayne Beals, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Dec 31, 2009
If the seller has listed the property with an "exclusive right to sell" agreement with an agent, the seller will pay the commission to the selling agent no matter if you have an agent or not.

This is the most typical kind of listing agreement in our market. If you enlist the help of a buyer's agent, their services are of no cost to you as the seller's agent will pay the buyer's agent commission. Beware of buyers agents who want you to sign a "exclusive buyer's agency agreement" right off the bat. You'll want to know you have an agent that fits your needs well before entering into this kind of agreement.

Either way, it's a good idea to have an agent help you on your purchase, especially since it doesn't cost you anything.

Best of Luck

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams CCG
312-77BEALS
312-772-3257
wbeals@kw.com
Dominique Re…, , Clovis, CA
Thu Dec 31, 2009
No, the seller is responsible for the commission. I would suggest to you to find a realtor that you are comfortable working with that can represent you and have your best interest in mind. They can also show you similar properties and it won't cost you anything. Make sure to have your realtor write your offer or they won't get paid from the seller.

Good Luck,

Dominique Ressurreicao
Branch Manager
First USA Home Loans
dominique@1usahomeloans.com
Web Reference:  http://www.1usahomeloans.com