Home Buying in 94107>Question Details

scheibnerssb…, Home Owner in Chadds Ford, PA

As a condo owner, I was forced to rely on the property insurance that the condo association provided. That insurance co answered only to the

Asked by scheibnerssbaby, Chadds Ford, PA Thu Nov 14, 2013

condo association. They would not tell me
what the amount of the payment was, so
I do not know whether the condo association
gave me the whole payment or not.
Do I, as the owner of the condo, have a right
to know what the amount of the pay-out was,
since the claim was made on my behalf?

Help the community by answering this question:


sadfr’s answer
Master Condo Association policy often cover the structure out side shell. As for any interior known as Additions & Alterations this is why you should have your own seprate policy. Also you will want to have liability protection, Personal Property & loss accessment coverages

ask to see the master policy

read the condo documents
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 17, 2013
You should consult with an attorney on this.

Here's the thing. The HOA's insurance policy may cover your unit, which would make THEM the beneficiary, not you. With that in mind, there is no "overage" that would revert to you.

But, your CC&Rs may vary. So talk to an attorney - as a homeowner, you should have one, anyway.

All the best,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 14, 2013
Since you didn’t provide any details, we don’t know whether your unit was the only one damaged, the nature and extent of the damage, the source of the damage, and why you are entitled to any part of the settlement. My response assumes that Pennsylvania Law is similar to California law, on these issues.

Assuming that your unit was the only one damaged, the HOA should provide you with an itemized claim, with an itemized offer to settle from each carrier, the form of coverage (Guaranteed Replacement coverage is rare); the applicable deductible(s).; and the extent of any lender payouts. .

If the claim is still open, and if the HOA directors are not satisfied with the proposed payout, it may want to consult the HOA attorney about retaining a public adjuster.

Hopefully your HOA has established a reserve for useful-life/catastrophic replacement.

In California every County has a lawyer referral service run by the County Bar Association, with an initial fee of around $50. I don’t know if there is anything similar in Chadds Ford.

Single Agency Broker 00849905
400 Montgomery 505
San Francisco CA 94104
Office: 415.781.3000
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 14, 2013

Not sure of the full question. Sounds like there was a claim against the insurance that the HOA carries. Is that correct? Are you making the claim or is it someone else? What type of claim is it for? (damage to property, etc). Sorry not really able to answer the question without knowing the full details. In an insurance claim situation typically the person filing the claim would speak directly with the insurance carrier, not the HOA. If there was a claim filed against the HOA you may want to approach the HOA board to determine the amount of the payment.

Without knowing the full details it will be hard to be specific regarding your situation, but hopefully this gives you some information to work with.

Hope that helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 14, 2013
If I'm understanding your question, some sort of claim was made by the HOA on the building. The HOA should be able to provide you with any financial info you request within a reasonable time period.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 14, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer