Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

Carol Cei, Real Estate Pro in Maple Glen, PA

As a Realtor, I always recommend ASHI home inspectors. Would real estate pros NOT do this? If so, why?

Asked by Carol Cei, Maple Glen, PA Wed Mar 30, 2011

Answers

7
Paul Welden’s answer
As an Exclusive Buyer's Agent, I use FHA-approved home inspectors and do not pay attention if they are members of ASHI or not. Although, the ones I use are members of ASHI.

More info for home inspectors becoming FHA approved can be found on Mortgagee Letter 04-29. The roster of FHA inspectors can be found here https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/insplook.cfm ,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 30, 2011
I always tell a buyer that beyond the fact that we have asked a seller to disclose what they know about their property, and we as Realtors are not supposed to discover ourselves any defects other than what is disclosed to us! I recommend a home inspection by every buyer so they can discover what maybe wrong or defective of the property. it is a buffer for the buyer and a protection of his investment into this property. I also give each buyer I work with a CMA of the properties they have a true desire for! I tell them to have an exterminator inspect as well, and I remind them that there is only a certain amount of time allowed by the contract to find all that is wrong!
Spirit nailed it.
The warranty on inspections is as good as the inspector. The realtor that recommends an inspector is like a lost friend that introduced you to your wife.
Unfortunately, I have not found any criteria for determining how good a home inspector is except experience with them in doing the home inspections. Memberships in ASHI or franchises, state licenses, etc. are no guarantee of competence or relevant experience. With the poor economy I have seen many people get newly licensed as home inspectors and enter the business to make a living. As someone who was a builder and also was a home inspector at one time, I have found there is no substitute for real experience in construction and lots of it, which is lacking in many home inspectors I come across.
Actually, you will find some agents will not recommend anyone, because of liability. Even though a Realtor or Agent is only trying to help, if you think about it, nothing "good" can come out of giving any referral, like a home inspector. What if they miss something ? Guess who it COULD come back on? The "correct" way they say (instructors) is to instead give the client a phone book or 3 to choose from. Couple of things, any referrals we give, as a Realtor MUST be licensed or Bonded or it really could come back on you.

I do recommend and refer both 1 lender and 1 home inspector, who guarantees his work (and he is licensed and bonded) because I have referred them to 20+ clients now, and all have been satisfied. That is exactly how I explain it to clients, that they are free to use anyone they want and I am fine with it, but I have 20+ referrals this ABC and never had a problem.
Even though we are sincerely only trying to help, it could come back on us if we urge them to only use one (fill in the blank, any referral) when it is their choice to choose.
Best of luck.
Spirit
Carol, as you know according to our PA agreement of sale, inspectors need to be amember of one of the organizations for inspectors, so they may not be ASHI but one of the other approved associations. ASHI is not the only association inspectors can be members of and some may prefer one association over another. It would be a matter of checking the guidelines for membership of each association to see what the differences are. At the end of the day, it is always the consumers choice.
Over time you meet and deal with many different home inspectors. If I am on the listing side I don't get to pick and am forced to deal with who the buyers use. Sometimes I am amazed at the CR#P these home inspectors bring up. Like saying, "That HVAC unit is old and won't go much longer"or "that roof looks like it will leak soon". How do they know? I use inspectors that do a good job and are realistic and not searching to defend their $400 they charge for an inspection. I don't even look to see if they are ASHI or not, I use who I have trust in and I give the buyers several fro them to pick from.