Are there rattlesnakes in The Sanctuary in Marlton?

Asked by Kelly, Marlton, NJ Sun Jun 3, 2012

Answers

7
Lolzy, , Marlton, NJ
Tue Jul 31, 2012
yes, there r potentially rattlesnakes all over marlton. it is the pine barrens. There r also bear around. If you dont like the idea of wild animals around maybe u should move to the city.
we city folks want to move to the suburbs cause we getting old! Need somewhere quite! Get it? Don't mock us dammit!
Flag Thu Jan 21, 2016
Dalewmiller, Home Buyer, 08816
Sat Apr 5, 2014
Yes. I lived at 571 Hopewell Rd and what is now the entrance to the Sanctuary was the trail I used to ride my bike on and walk my dogs from '79-'88. Many times rattlesnakes entered our property. I guess once in a while they got off course as they usually commuted from lake to lake (now both dried) behind us during mating & birthing season. Being the owner of that land, Mr. Shiffendecker was a local as he lived in that shack with the flagpole on the corner of Kettle Run & Hopewell. I used to see him back there all the time just walking around & enjoying nature. He really loved that land and he was so kind to let me use it to ride around and fish.

For years the land was protected by the wildlife commission due to the snakes, but someone must of gotten paid off after Mr. Ernie Shiffendecker died, as what is now called the Sanctuary was mostly his land. That is why I always found it amusing when all the Yuppies moved into their McMansions back there as I knew it was inevitable the rattlesnakes would show up again and they would freak. What did they think that nature would just go away because they built some houses?
murphyslaw011, Home Owner, Marlton, NJ
Fri Aug 23, 2013
Yes, there are rattlesnakes in the Sanctuary. We had our home built in 2003 but have since downsized and moved. There was a program for residents to learn about the timber rattlesnake. Some of the snakes had tracking devices on them and moved some distance; one to a camp in Medford. Although I never saw one on my property (John James Audubon Way), I know my friends on Benjamin West did see them there. I think as you get closer to the lake, you have more of a chance to come across one. If you notice, there are culverts under the sand road by the lake. That's where the rattlesnakes are supposed to cross through in order to avoid the road.

The snake issue is not a secret to anyone living in the Sanctuary. I do not think that the realtors developing there should indicate that there are no snakes; that's simply not true.

My advice would be to talk to the people who have been there when the first homes were erected on the newer development (John James Audubon side).
I saw them on mine growing up before the Sanctuary was made '79-'88. See my post above.
Flag Sat Apr 5, 2014
Jes6ab, Both Buyer And Seller, Boston, MA
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Yes whoever that agent is is lying to make money in this broke down economy, DO NOT BUY A HOME IN THE SANCTUARY. THAT AGENT IS A LIAR. Evesham police and a wild life guide did a seminar for residents of the sanctuary in 1999 to warn them about the timber rattlesnakes and to be prepared. Google it type in Sactuary marlton NJ venomous snakes and you will see the Philadelphia inquirer article and other related articles. Lozly or whatever her name is is an idiot though, I used to live in Marlton for 18 years in Cambridge Park and no venomous snakes that way. But where the Sanctuary is located is very undeveloped and that's probably why they are in that area whe there was NO people. Hope this helps and never listen to a real estate agent. They are just trying to get paid in this horrible economy, will tell you whatever you want to hear to make that sale!
I saw them on my property growing up before the Sanctuary was made '79-'88. See my post above.
See my post above as I grew up around there before the Sanctuary was built.
Flag Sat Apr 5, 2014
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Mon Jun 4, 2012
Kelly,

Not sure about the presences of rattlesnakes in The Sanctuary, but here's a very informative brochure from the DEP on snakles in NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/snake_broch07.pdf
Mark McKenna, Agent, Marlton, NJ
Sun Jun 3, 2012
Kelly, I have walked those lots 100's of times with customers and never seen a snake or concerned about a snake. The owner of Wynlake Homes is building his own home for his family there and I have sold many close friends there new homes there and we have delivered or contracted over 20 new homes in the last 14 months. I have been with the builder since the beginning of the job and it is great community, that's why we are doing so well!

Mark Mckenna
609856 332 0792
Burlington County's #1 Agent
Since 1999
Mark, as you may have known, I grew up there. See my post above.
Flag Sat Apr 5, 2014
Ed Ralston, Agent, Medford, NJ
Sun Jun 3, 2012
Hi Kelly,

We have a model open in The Sanctuary. If you haven't stopped by yet, please feel free to visit and ask for Susan. She can answer any of your questions. Feel free to give me a call if I can help you, at 856-912-6048.

Ed