Simon, Other/Just Looking in uk

Are there any restrictions for a non-US citizen to purchase property in the US?

Asked by Simon, uk Wed Jan 9, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Carolyn Thom…, Agent, Rockville, MD
Wed Apr 1, 2009
Probably no restrictions on purchasing, but it would be challenging if you needed a loan.

I went through numerous national lenders and was unable to get a client with a valid proof that they had a right to be in this country a loan. Their credit was superior.

An alternative would be to go through a private lender.
2 votes
Ricardo Mello, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Jul 9, 2012

We just published a FAQ's about Foreigners Buying and Selling Real Estate in the US by our tax attorney Wendy Fitzsimons. It focus on many legal and tax issues that a non-Us Citizen may face.


Ricardo Mello
1 vote
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Feb 26, 2013
It could be as much as 20%, but "they" should hire an accountant, because it is possible that their taxable gain is significantly less than they think.

When they sold, 10% of the proceeds was held back under FIRPTA, the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act. If we're talking more than a couple of thousand dollars, a CPA is well worth the money.

All the best,
0 votes
clundgren, , Mobile, AL
Tue Feb 26, 2013
non us citizen owns property in us - they just sold - what is tax rate if any on the capital gains
0 votes
Marion Laney, , Mobile, AL
Sun May 25, 2008
Good day Simon,
All the answers are good. Some of the best places to look are going to be where the prices are lower, inventory of new homes/condos is slightly above demand but not a glut and with positive economic and tourism news in the pipeline.

A few areas I deal with fit these criteria:
Mobile (also the city name) and Baldwin counties. Mobile benifited from New Orleans damage as a port city that was basically undamaged. There have been many news reports from CNN, CNBC, New York Times, Business Week, etc about the recent influx of massive investment from ThyseenKrump, EADS/AIRBUS and others. The city and immediate Gulf coast will recover value quickly as these businesses relocate and hire over the next 3-5 years.

The Emerald Coast of Northwest Florida is mostly unknown to Europeans but new fasttrack international airport is under construction near Panama City. There is currently a glut of condos and very high end single family homes but with the opening of thie facility the world will discover this gorgeous region.

And of course to the west of the Alabama Beaches of Dauphin Island, Gulf Shores and Orange Beach is the waterfront gaming emporiums of Biloxi with lots of room for growth.

I practice real estate as an agent in Alabama and Florida and have aliances in the Biloxi region. I am also an investor and partner in developments and construction in the region. Through alliances/relatives I can also offer access to hotel and hotel management companies.
If I can be of service email or call USA1-251-650-4017
Web Reference:
0 votes
Adam Ledbett…, , Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Apr 2, 2008
There are some requirements. You need of valid Visa, show proof you can come and go freely and provide proof or residence in country of origin. Obtaining financing usually consists of 20-30% down and rates are 1% higher on posted rates depending on lender. Upon selling property in the US things change for foreign buyers. Hope this helps
Web Reference:  http://www.4salebyadam
0 votes
Bill Snyder, , Yuma County, CO
Thu Jan 10, 2008
Hey Simon ,

No restrictions here in Arizona ! You have to pay the same capital gains any other investor would have to when you sell . Comercial property and Muti Family units are realy good for forien investors .
0 votes
Melanie Nard…, , San Francisco, CA
Wed Jan 9, 2008
Hi Simon,
There's no restrictions on buying in the states; here in California the state will want to guarantee their taxes upon a non-citizen/non-resident selling. With the dollar hammered you will probably find some good deals. Let me know if you're thinking of shopping in San Francisco! :)
0 votes
Hi all
I have a few question and would appreciate if some one cal help.

I was resident (Working Visa) in the United States between 2008 till 2010 December. During this time i bought a house in NJ but then i had to move out (moving date 31st December 2010) of country and i rented the house and managing by Management Company. My management company is collecting a rent and depositing into my account after deduction of all expanses including their fees. I visit US and stayed their for 3 to 4 weeks in 2011. I don't have any other income form United States except rental income. I fillled tax for 2008, 2009, and 2010 as a resident. I got a only the rental amount during 2011 and 2012. Do i need to file a Tax as a resident or non-resident for tax yest 2011 and 2012? I am also thinking if i need to sell the house do i have to pay tax too if i consider as non-resident?

Would really appreciate your valuable advice.

Flag Mon Dec 10, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more