Are there any communities being built in Coloorado Springs that don't have ridiculous HOA restrictions?

Asked by Katie Deehr, Colorado Springs, CO Sat Mar 31, 2012

Answers

10
Brian L. A.…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Sun Apr 1, 2012
The items you mention sound more than reasonable for most of the HOA's I have dealt with over the years and many in the newer communities. The best advice is to partner with a Realtor who is a recognized specialist in buyer representation.

With your concerns, it's very important to remember that the agent working in the builders models represents the builders best interests and, while they must treat you fairly, they have to represent and advocate for the builders interests...not yours. So I would highly recommend you select an experienced, educated, professional Realtor to serve as your Buyer Agent to advise and advocate for your best interests.

Realtors with the following professional designations have specialized education, experience and certified proficiency in the areas that would be of greatest benefit to you:
*ABR(Accredited Buyer Representative) are recognized as having experience, training and proficiency in buyer representation (held by only about 2% of all Realtors)

*CRS (Certified Residential Specialists) The highest designation in Residential Real Estate and are recognized as being in the top 4% of all Realtors in the Residential Sales field

*GRI (Graduate Realtor Institute) recognized as having the necessary basic education in professional real estate, held by only about 25% of all Realtors

When you interview Realtors to represent you, the National Association of Realtors recommends you ask the following questions of buyer agents:

1. How long have you been in residential real estate sales? Is it your full-time job? (While experience is no guarantee of skill, real estate, like many other professions, is mostly learned on the job.)

2. What designations do you hold? (Designations, such as GRI and CRS, which require that real estate professionals take additional, specialized real estate training, are held by only about one-quarter of real estate practitioners.)

3. How close to the initial asking prices of the homes where you represented buyers were the final sale prices?

4. Will you represent me exclusively, or will you operate as a transaction broker representing and advocating for neither side in the transaction? (It’s important to understand where the practitioner’s obligations and responsibilities lie. A good practitioner will explain the agency relationship to you and describe the rights of each party. It’s also possible to insist that the practitioner represent you exclusively.) In Colorado this disclosure is required.

5. Can you recommend professional service providers who can assist me in obtaining a mortgage, inspecting my home, and other things I may need done? (Keep in mind here that real estate professionals should generally recommend more than one provider and should disclose if they receive any compensation from any provider.)

6. What’s your business philosophy? (While there’s no right answer to this question, the response will help you assess what’s important to the real estate practitioner—fast sales, personal service, etc.—and determine how closely the practitioner’s goals and business emphasis mesh with your own.)

7. How will you assist me in my property search and keep me informed about the progress of my transaction? How frequently? Using what media? (Again, this is not a question with a correct answer, but that one reflects your desires. Do you want updates twice a week or don’t want to be bothered unless there’s a hot prospect? Do you prefer phone, e-mail, or a personal visit?)

8. Could you please give me the names and phone numbers of three of your most recent buyer clients?

I hope this information is of assistance

Regards
Brian L. A. Wess
Realtor®, Broker Owner
CRS, GRI, ABR, ASR, CSR, CNS, SFR, e-PRO
Infinite Horizons Realty - Metro Brokers
Direct: 719-528-6672
Web: BrianWess.com
COLORADO REAL ESTATE...DONE RIGHT!â„¢
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Greetings. The answer to your question would really depend on what your definition of ridiculous is.

You may want to carefully consider why HOA's exist before allowing the frustrations that come with them to cloud judgement. We all have the desire to do as we please with our own property, however when purchasing a home in a community, there are certain standards set to make sure that no one property owner negatively effects the rights of the others. This is one of the same reasons, in addition to health and safety, why Towns and Cities have enacted codes they enforce.

Most who are looking to purchase homes want to protect the value of what is, for most people, their single largest investment and that is what protective covenants are designed to help to do. Home Owners Associations (HOA) are usually an elected board of homeowners from the community who help to enforce the protective covenants of the community in order to help protect the standards and home values of the community.

An example of what can happen to a community that has no HOA to enforce its protective covenants is Claremont Ranch. This began as a nice subdivision of properties in about the $200,000 to $300,000 price range. However, issues from the lack of an HOA began to show not too long after the first phase was built out. Some property owners didn't obey the covenants, didn't put in sod, or didn't keep their properties up and subsequently the property values in the area began to be negatively affected even before the the market began its downturn in mid 2007.

So, to try and answer your question, in Colorado Springs, Claremont Ranch still has some building going on and further south and east of the Fountain, Security/Widefield area there is Lorson Ranch that is still building out and neither of these have active HOA's to enforce their protective covenants.
I don't know what ridiculous mean for her but for me is absolutely ridiculous that if I have the space in my backyard I still have to monthly pay a storage place for my small RV and boat, that is ridiculous. Also as a Ham radio operator I totally understand that raise a big tower or a huge antenna is something that doesn't looks good for many eyes BUT have the ridiculous restriction that I can't put any type of antenna (no matter if is a 2 feet high antenna) but dish antennas from dish network and Directv are allowed! Why they are and I'm not? Not fair at all. I'm ok with what I call "Passive HOA", those are the ones that are not ridiculous and they just look for the important stuff, but what I call "Intrusive HOA" are the ones I hate, yes, those at Cordera where if your wife forgot to close the garage door in the morning you immediately get a nasty letter in the afternoon. I live in a corner house with a very big and USELESS yard because I can't store anything there, even my New26'RV
Flag Wed Sep 21, 2016
Beverlytazan…, Home Owner, Colorado Springs, CO
Mon Jun 11, 2012
My neighborhood HOA expired 10 years after it was built (built 1973). There used to be a few neighborhood bullies that would strong arm the neighbors and tell them it still existed, but it does NOT. This is the Stratmoor Hills area.
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Mon Apr 2, 2012
Hello Ktdeehr,
Have you considered looking for a neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA? Older neighborhoods may have homes on lots that can be built onto or even razed. Colorado Springs is likely to have areas where homeowners have the freedom to do more without approval of a board. Generally, that applies to paint colors and where you can plant certain plants. I recommend going to the city web site for guidelines.

An HOA doesn't exist to lock horns with people who don't want to be bothered with filing plans. These are communities where people have contracted to have an elected board review and approve plans so that there is a uniform appearance to the community. Outrageous paint colors and architectural creativity are discouraged. In the end, the community holds its price better than neighborhoods where anyone can leave park rusted out, non-working vehicles on their driveways and that kind of thing.

Not every HOA is the same. There is a great deal of diversity. But you have to do the research. Newer neighborhoods have HOAs, which sometimes have web sites where you can find this information.

If you are opposed to restrictions, there are neighborhoods for you, too. Usually, as I said at the top, these are older neighborhoods. A real estate agent can point you to the web sites when you are narrowing your search for a home. If they seem overly restrictive, then do look into the cost of remodeling or repairing an older home. I also recommend cruising those neighborhoods to see if the neighbors are a good fit for you.

SuZ
Kevin Olson,…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Sun Apr 1, 2012
Contact us and we'll help you find the right spot without having to compromise. We'll get the covenants and restrictions for all potential areas to narrow down your choices. We provide free buyer representation, and there are 2 of us working for you to get things done in a manner suitable to you. We are also comfortable with new builds and the process, which saves a great deal of time and stress on your part once the process begins.

Kevin Olson & Jessica Laude
RE/MAX Properties, Inc.
719-799-3686
Kevin@LiveInSprings.com
Katie Deehr, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Sat Mar 31, 2012
I don't mind that they want to make sure people keep up their properties and such but I feel that when you buy a home you should have more availability to do what you want than when you rent a house. My husband and I are very responsible and want to build a nice home but we have 2 dogs and 2 cats, when some hoa's have pet restrictions, we want to build a privacy fence around our property line in the backyard, and I dont want to have to ask for approval if I want to put in a playground in my backyard or plant a garden. I'm looking for a place to build a house, around $250,000-$300,000, where I can make some of my own decisions on my home
Marilyn Thiel, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Sat Mar 31, 2012
All new home communities will have extensive covenants. they usually are enforced rigorously the first few years and then things settle down. The amount they collect for dues may indicate how aggressive they will be in enforcing covenants. if they collect a lot of money they will do more. With no dues collected it is harder to enforce covenants. Are there specific restrictions you object too?
Joe Kaiser, , Colorado Springs, CO
Sat Mar 31, 2012
We have several communities that come with covenants but no HOA.
Jennifer Sul…, , Colorado Springs, CO
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Ir really depends on your price range, type of phone, or land requirements.
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Lorson Ranch is probably your best bet if you're looking for a newly built home without the HOA problems. It's further south, but can be very worth it.