Are the sites where you can get multiple Homeowners Insurance quotes a scam?

Asked by Jen, Syracuse, NY Fri Jun 17, 2011

I'm a first time home buyer and I feel overwhelmed with Homeowners Insurance. I'm nervous to put my real number because I don't want to get calls. I need to get insurance for the house closing next week and I'm not sure where to start and how to get the best price.

Answers

3
Shane Milne, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, South Jordan, UT
Fri Jun 17, 2011
You have many sources for referrals to a good homeowners insurance agent:

1. Your own auto/life insurance agent
2. Your real estate agent, if you are using one
3. Your mortgage loan officer, if you are using one and they do business in your state often
4. Family members who have homeowners insurance, or auto or life insurance, and think highly of their agent
5. Co-workers in the same category as #4
6. Your new next door neighbors
7. Also your closing attorney (I forgot you were in NY)

http://www.ins.state.ny.us/hmonindx.htm & http://www.ins.state.ny.us/homeown/pdf/homeins_shopguide.pdf are two good resources/reads also - but they won't provide you "quotes", just good information on how to shop for homeowners insurance.
Jeff Garthwa…, Agent, Long Lake, MN
Fri Jun 17, 2011
I wouldn't do it. Your phone won't stop ringing for weeks. What I would do is talk to your friends, neighbors, family, etc. Ask them 2 quesitons. Who is your insurance agent, and would you recommend him or her? It's that easy. Pick 2 or 3 of the names and give them a call. Tell them "Bob" referred me and I'd like a quote! That's it. Good Luck, and congrats on your new home! Jeff Garthwait
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Fri Jun 17, 2011
Stop go to a local insurance company and sit down with an agent, try ragging out an agent online, there is no way to do it, when crap goes wrong. I want the agent in front of me sweating it out while I yell, rant, and rave.
The cost is about the same, and I see an actual person when I have complaints! Believe me it is healthier this way!