Are the schools in Byram Township/Stanhope any good?

Asked by John Jerald Vitug, New York, NY Sat Mar 9, 2013

I see them rated as 7's and 8's but I drove past one of the schools and it just looks old. Any info will help! Thanks!

Answers

2
Notfor Public, Home Owner, Stanhope, NJ
Mon Feb 23, 2015
There is an old school building on Lackawanna Road that was sold to the town and is no longer used by the school district. Turn on Mansfield Drive go past the park, tennis courts, police department, town hall. At the end of this road (less than 1 mile) you come first to the intermediate (or middle school) then to the elementary school (built less than 10 years ago). You can get much more information from the website http://www.byramschools.org/ It is truly an excellent school system.
Nina Fradl C…, Agent, Sparta, NJ
Sat Mar 9, 2013
I think it makes good sense to visit the school and meet with the professionals there. Remember the old expression, "You can't judge a book by its cover"! While feedback from foks whose children attend/attended the schools in questions is always helpful, your criteria for quality education for your children may differ from others in the community in question. Perhaps it would be most fruitful to direct your concerns and questions to teachers and administration folks in these schools, and see the school environment in person.

We do have a school choice program in New Jersey, with grammar, middle and high school districts in the area participating. Check out http://www.nj.gov/education/choice/ for additional information. If you decide in the end you don't care for the schools in your targeted area, perhaps there's a neighboring district that will better satisfy your criteria. That might be an acceptable compromise and allow you to purchase a home in a more convenient commuting location, and yet place your children in schools that better fit your children't needs. There is an application process for the school choice program. It's not an automatic acceptance -- there must be room in the receiving school.

Thank you so much for the reply! My eldest daughter will be starting kindergarten this September and I wasn't aware of the school choice program. At our price-point, the houses we've been encountering were either great houses in a okay school system or an okay house in a great school system. I will definitely look into this program. Thanks again!
Flag Sat Mar 9, 2013