Are non-US citizens allowed to wholly own property in the US?

Asked by Steve Culpan, Fri May 23, 2008

I am looking at buying a holiday home in the Kissimmee area so I can holiday with my young family at the local attractions. Is it permissable for a UK citizen to wholly own property in the US?

I would be looking for a 4 bed (min) place, with pool and garage, in a desireable area, easy travelling distance from Disneyland.

I am in the situation where I can put a healthy deposit down and mortgage the rest (am self employed), or wait a while and buy cash. The former is my preferred option as I want to get things moving but don't know if this would be possible???

I don't wish to holiday let the property, just for my own and family use.

Which areas would be recommended and where should be avoided?

Thanks for any help and / or advice in advance

Steve C.

Answers

12
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Tue Mar 2, 2010
Sure, non citizen can own property here. We've got thousands of happy Canadian, Brasilian, and European owners here. Plus more than a few from a lot of other places, too.

When my wife and I lived in England and Holland, there was no restriction on our buying houses there. It works the same way here.

Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.
Jacqueline F…, , Kissimmee, FL
Sat May 24, 2008
Hello Steve,

Yes, you can own property in the states. I work with a lot of foreign nationals from the U.K, Norway and Canada.
As far as mortgages go, most mortgage companies are asking 30-35% down for foreign nationals.
And you will have to open a US bank account.
You have alot of options availavle to you if you are going to keep your Holiday home strickly for yourself. It really depends on what you would like the community amenities to have. Please remember most communities in the Kissimmee, Davenport area have homeowners association dues which vary community to community. I know you don't have that in the U.K.
If you are looking at this from an investment stand point, I would buy in a short term rental community for resale value.
If you would like I can send you some homes that fit your criteria in the Davenport and Kissimmee area.
No obiligation.

I look forward to being able to help you find your Holiday home in Florida.

Jacqueline Fortier
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat May 24, 2008
Steve,

Indeed yes you can own property in the US...as a matter of fact the us government welcomes foreign investers generally with out controling conditions. If you are planning on financing a portion of your purchase, lending agencies do expect a larger deposit to protect themselves from individuals abandoning their comittment with out recourse,

The only regulation we have as real estate agents to contend with is that should you eventually deceide to sell your property, agents must withhold for the government 10% of the sale to settle taxes etc. associated with the transaction.

Kissimmee is a wonderful location for a holiday home. We would be happy to assist you with your search.
Please feel free to call or email your specific requirements.

The "Eckler Team"
ecklerteam@comcast.net
941-408-5363
Jacqueline F…, , Kissimmee, FL
Fri Jun 12, 2009
Hello Steve,

I hope you are having a great Friday evening.
I was wondering if you were coming to the states soon.
There have been some great deals lately on flights to Florida from the U.K.

If you would like to send me your e-mail address, I could send you a few listings to for you to view.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Fortier
Cinderella Realty
001-863-450-6449
Jackie@CinderellaRealtyFl.com
Rosie Morot-…, , Miami, FL
Thu Jun 12, 2008
Dear Steve,
Yes you can own property in Us , peoples from all over the world purchase homes in Florida or other states. Most of large mortage companies know how to pelp you with financing.So welcome to sunny Florida ! I work in Miami but coul help you to find an Agent in Orlando.
Wendy, Both Buyer And Seller, Orlando USA
Sun Jun 8, 2008
Hi Steve
we are English and live here in Kissimmee, you can buy a property and do not need a social security number. You can wholly own, get a USA mortgage or a UK based mortgage. Now is a great time to buy as prices go up during the summer as more visitors choose Kissimmee over Kendal and Disney over Doncaster! We have a great 4 bed, 3 bath, home with a pool and jacuzzi over looking a golf course, minutes from the airport and Disney we will be selling during June. The estate the house is on has lots of UK owners who love the area and we have reliable English contacts here. Contact me on abacuscoach@yahoo.com and I'll call you with the details plus lots of help/tips on buying and owning here in sunny Florida
Marjon Koper, , Dundee, FL
Tue May 27, 2008
Hello Steve,
Yes, you can buy and own property in the States while living in the U.K.
Myself I lived in the Netherlands for 46 years and bought my first holiday home in Kissimmee. Now I am a Realtor and sell homes to a lot of Dutch and European buyers.
We have started a new project in Lake Hamilton, that is located on Highway 27, about 20 minutes from Disney. We built you a new home, with 4 beds and 2 baths for only $ 225,000 on a spacious lot of a 1/4 acre.
You will not find a new construction home on such a large lot and in a nice and quiet area ,anymore. Please feel free to contact me at: Marjon@KatRealtyFlorida.com
Debt Free Da…, , 85260
Sat May 24, 2008
As a foreign national you can own property in the US. You will need to put down at least twenty percent however. Do you have a us social security number?
Web Reference:  http://GetPrequalified.com
Andrew Cotti…, Agent, Campbell, FL
Sat May 24, 2008
Hello Steve,

Absolutely you can own property here in Florida. In fact the largest group of foreign investors that purchase homes in Kissimmee reside in the U.K. It is true that you have many great options for holiday homes but you need to be careful in your selection. The present market we find ourselves in has hurt some communities by allowing them to become more long term residential than true vacation homes. When a development goes through this change it sometimes is not as well maintained or as presentable. This has a great impact on the current and future value of each home. The most important advice I can give you for your search is to pick a real estate agent that works with these types of properties and one that you have trust in. As you can see my company is called “The Vacation Home Store “ because that is all we do. If you would like me to lend my expertise to assist you in finding the perfect home I here to help out in any way.
Andrew Cottier
Myke Atwater, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Sat May 24, 2008
Steve--I am in the Panhandle of Florida, so you are not looking for property in my area, but I do work with a mortgage specialist who can handle your international finance for you. Contact me for more information.
Web Reference:  http://www.MykeTriebold.com
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Sat May 24, 2008
Yes,
Steve there is no problem with you owning property here. There is a bit more paperwork involved if you get a mortgage. I have English clients know so you just need to find yourself a local realtor in the Kissimmee area and start shopping.

Bryant Tutas, Agent, Winter Garden, FL
Sat May 24, 2008
HI Steve,

You are certainly free to purchase with no restrictions. Kissimmee is sprawling area so there are many options for homes close to Disney. Since you are not interested in Holiday lets you have many more options. You can find a really good 4 bedrooom pool home from as low as $250,000 to as high as......well as high you want you to go.

I'd be happy to do a search and send over some porperties details to give you an idea of what's available.

You can reach me through my direct blog site at http://brokerbryant.com. Feel free to do a google search for broker bryant as well. It will take you to my many websites and property searches. Have ag reat weekend!!!
Web Reference:  http://www.brokerbryant.com