Are late night seminar selling gurus just a bunch of fraudulent charlatans or is LiLo America's sweetheart?

Asked by Jim Walker, Carmichael, CA Thu Jul 26, 2007

What do you think of gurus like Carleton Sheets and Robert Allen and others?

http://www.johntreed.com/Reedgururating.html

Answers

16
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Whoa… STOP! We may have different motivations for our presence on this site; but we are all professionals. Stop the personal attacks. I was the one who made the inappropriate and flippant comment about LiLo, not Jim. I conceded that it was inappropriate and I apologized. Jim seems stuck holding the bag for something he didn’t do--LiLo was simply (and innocently) referenced in his original question.

Let’s chat instead about the late night RE guru’s as was Jim’s original intent:
I think they are a great disservice to an uneducated public!
Chris Tesch, Agent, College Station, TX
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Jim, if their systems worked nearly as well as they claim that they do I doubt they would be willing to sell their secrets. I also imagine they wouldn't have the time to produce commercials or write course material. Unfortunately many of these seminar leaders are taking money from the least affluent (who are simply trying to get out of bad financial situations) and placing it in their own, very well padded, pockets.
Web Reference:  http://www.ChrisTesch.com
J Lo, Home Buyer, California Glory, Brentwood, CA
Fri Jul 27, 2007
I am so happy that you are getting your kicks on this forum. As long as we are clear and you're hear to entertain yourself - I know now not to take anything you say as valid or meaningful.
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Fri Jul 27, 2007
I'm going to go with C: Neither of these.

Carleton Sheets and other "gurus" have made thousands doing exactly what they say they did on these informercials. It's true anyone can do what they did. Now the troubling thing is that they are making millions because the boxed it up and are selling it at 3AM. To each his own though. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit jealous for not thinking of it myself.

As for Lilo - isn't that a character from Disney (Yes I did read the other answers about Lohan).

I find that by not answering questions, you allow them to find their rightful place at the bottom. Of course, since Trulia rewards spamming, we'll likely get another response from Jeanette on this one.
Web Reference:  http://www.jrjarvis.com
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Jeannette, I have bestowed upon you the gift of critical thinking (in the good sense) Nothing anyone says should be taken as valid or meaningful unless there is verifiable, factual evidence to support the contentions. I am happy to entertain myself, yes, but I also self reflective enough to hope that my rants entertain others as well, or at least help them to think critically (in the good sense)
Melissa Manc…, Agent, Plainville, MA
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Jeanette,

I feel your disappointment. Very unprofessional….Jim, you really should delete this question. If your interested, in furthering this discussion, you should consider a celebrity gossip forum.
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Sorry guy's this really isn't the forum and what does a poor girl with obvious "personal" problems have to do with real estate?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say : Shame on you both. Jim you should delete this question. Personal attacks on people you don't know is beneath the profession you represent.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sat Jul 28, 2007
When a buyer talks to me about the late night seminars, as well as some of the prime time cable channel programs, I try to educate them that their personal results are unlikely to match that which was portrayed on television. When it becomes apparent to me that the buyers are traveling a road of wishful thinking, I politely and quickly help them, while directing my concentrated energies elsewhere. I will gladly present a low offer and represent my client. When my client, however, indicates they are not realistic in their expectations of the results, I see that we are both better moving on.

Prime time cable television programs are written for entertainment, and to sell advertising. They do, within reason, what one must do to sell a television show and gain enough audience that commands ad revenue.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group, Inc.
(732) 530-7755
Deborah@PeninsulaFirst.com
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri Jul 27, 2007
I accept your challenge - J - I shall ask the question in "Using Trulia" forum. by the way it was Joshua who used the term spamming for your prolific posting numbers, I think he might be tweaking you because it says he has 65 answers himself. - Looks like he is also an active member. See the Using Trula topic question .
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Melissa and Jeanette, Rather than delete my question, I will defend it. - I did not attack Li Lo. Bridgette did but with an accusation based on facts. I called her America's sweetheart. Because thats what she was and I hope she will be again someday, because I am a fan. Using her name in the title of the question was just a literary device to draw attention to this question amongst all the others. I invited people to write about Sheets, Allen or any other RE guru. Those celebrities ARE germane to the real estate conversation. The proselytizing that the gurus do affects our customers perceptions about real estate. It is a very serious subject worthy of discussion.
While it is unprofessional to disparage another Realtor, it is not unprofessional to disagree with them, or to point out their errors. I would be surpirsed to find out that Robert Allen or Carleton Sheets was a member of the NAR, but then i haven't done that research. I invited the forum to discuss their ideas and criticize them or praise them as they choose. As far as my professionalism. - this forum is a leisure activity for me, I am not acting in my professional capacity here; I am not representing any particular client or trolling for business. I am spouting off personal opinions, experiences, and rants, trying to make it fun for myself and good reading for others - I am not posting my personal website, rather I post links to public websites that are related to my topic of discussion or my local MLS site. I am a professional Realtor, but I am an amateur blogger, as most of the participants here are. - So Jeanette, you did go out on a limb to call shame on me, I can hear that limb creakiing......Can I get you a ladder?
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Fri Jul 27, 2007
I'd like to see more people putting money into real estate and less money into the investing programs. I've seen people spend thousands for the courses and still not buy real estate. They go to the clubs for months on end and still don't buy. I know it can be scarry to take that first step, but I'd rather see them take the first step then spend a whole lot of money on the courses. Like anything else they propbably work if you apply the knowledge in some cases, but few willing to do the work it involves. Just like Amway or many other multilevel marketing programs. I think if you work hard, network hard, and apply the principles you can be successful, but many of these people would have been or could have been successful without the program.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Fri Jul 27, 2007
aw, Jeannette,
it was late in the evening... But, you are right. I am shamed and sorry.
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Bravo Bridgette, and I do apologize for not responding positively to your apology earlier; I just didn't want to be accused of "spamming".... although I have to admit - I didn't know that was what answering a question did... or have I missed something?

Jim, could you enlighten us on that topic or should we ask it in another question.. please no not another question... I just don't know what to think of the spamming comment - HELP!
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Thu Jul 26, 2007
ah, yes... isn't she a drunk now? are there any NON-realtors on this site?
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Thu Jul 26, 2007
Li Lo is Lindsay Lohan. - She used to be Americas Sweetheart.
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Thu Jul 26, 2007
Definite charlatans... who's LiLo?