Are interest rates higher if you're trying to buy half a "duet" than if you're trying to buy a SFH?

Asked by JS, Alameda, CA Mon Oct 8, 2012

Answers

3
Claudia Mull…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Fremont, CA
Mon Oct 8, 2012
JS: Mortgage provider is incorrect.
If you are buying two units and living in one of them, then that is considered owner occupied.
In Alameda County this limit is $645k for standard conforming $800k for high cost conforming.
I would not be pricing your loan differently.
cgravelle@diversifiedmg.com out of Fremont, CA if you have questions and want to give me specifics.
JS, Home Buyer, Alameda, CA
Mon Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for that answer. Our issue is that we were pre-approved at a rate of 3.65 just two weeks ago. Now we are in contract on a home that is half a duet, and our mortgage provider says our rate is 4.25. He says the increase is due to the fact that the home is half a duet, as opposed to being a free-standing single family home. I'm wondering if interest rates are typically higher for halves-of-duets than for SFHs.
Dave & Donnee…, , Alameda, CA
Mon Oct 8, 2012
A duet is 2 SFH, so the loan would be the same if you are buying half a duet or a SFH.
if you were buying the entire duet that would be 2 properties.