Are buyers specifically looking for double-paned windows. I have been provided a quote of $3500 for this upgrade. Is it worth doing?

Asked by Mysusan, 91801 Thu Sep 5, 2013

Answers

6
Camelia Vera, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
They do like them but other feautures are much more important than the windows. More important than windows are:Exterior painting, interior painting, granite counters or updated kitchen and bathrooms. Hardwood floor that are freshly refinished are important. Changing the baseboard can give the home an updated touch too.
Camelia 626-484-4500
Ps Ive typically paid $400 per window for dual pane vinyl.
Web Reference:  http://Cbgeorgerealty.com
Camelia, I am very impressed with your careful answers to my questions. I need to wait for some funds to come from a company plan later this year, but am trying to formulate a "doable" budget that will keep me happy, as well as attract potential buyers. You've given me a lot to think about. My kitchen counters and kitchen sink I think are lacking.
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013
Cesar Aviles, Agent, Alhambra, CA
Mon Sep 23, 2013
New windows are great, double-pane are better. All improvements and repairs done before the sale will help you sell faster and for more MONEY! Call 626-757-5550 to sell your home for the most money!
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Sun Sep 8, 2013
Depends on how old your windows are. Are they operable? If yes, then don't bother with the change. If not, then do it.
If you are remodeling the entire house, then I would recommend doing it.
Carlos, they are the original windows so they are roughly 70 years old. I am pretty much without income right now, so I am trying to get by on as little as I can. I may put off the sale of my home until I get money from a previous employer. Thanks for the tip!
Flag Sun Sep 8, 2013
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Sep 6, 2013
I don't think so, Susan. It's not really a dealbreaker for most home buyers. How much are your heating / cooling bills?
My electric in summer is close to $100, but I am retired and home most days. In the winter, my heating is nearly $80. I really hate being here anymore, too many neighborhood politics and I am eager to have a new start elsewhere.
Flag Fri Sep 6, 2013
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Dual Pane windows are great if you are near the Airport or other noisy area. In a quiet residential street, they are not essential to enjoyment of the home.
Buyers do like "new' and energy efficient windows, so perhaps that would be the way to go.
JR Thrasher, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Yes, it's hard to calculate if you will get exactly $3500 back out of the sales price of your home. However, if your windows are old or in need of repair new windows will help the appearance of your home and how well it shows to perspective buyers.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105
I am not a desperate home seller. I could stay where I am but to me, there are several drawbacks to staying here.
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013