Are basements included in the square footage of the House?

Asked by Keith, Cincinnati, OH Tue Mar 19, 2013

Answers

3
Scott Hulen, , 64068
Tue Mar 19, 2013
This is a great question!!! Larry gave you the correct answer! The only thing I would add concerns the variables & value of the finished sq. ft. The basics: a reverse 1 ½ home plan is basically a Ranch with a walkout basement which is finished and most of the time has concrete walls poured to a height of 9’ which gives an approx. 8’ ceiling height this sq. ft. on an appraisal generally is valued in a similar manner as the main floor, if you add a bath or 2nd kitchen/bar & additional bedrooms you receive good value. The other side is the standard home with no walkout these are valued with finish at about 15-40% of the value of the main floor. On appraisals a walkout & the style of home along with other variables makes a huge difference.
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Tue Mar 19, 2013
In my area generally not. In order to comply with code here there must be two forms of egress and full windows + get certified as well(C of O).
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Tue Mar 19, 2013
Unless their finished, heated and cooled with a ceiling height of at least 7 feet they should not be included in the properties total square footage.

Hope this helps.