Home Buying in Plainfield>Question Details

Nester, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Anyone lives in Plainfield, NJ?

Asked by Nester, New York, NY Sun Jul 27, 2008

Hi, I need help in deciding on a beautiful colonial home I saw on 7th St & Grant Ave. Is it a safe neighborhood to raise 2 small children. From NY and not familiar with the area. I read a few responses online but mixed reviews between North & South Plainfield. Anyone who is familiar with the area or know of someone, much appreciated.
Thanks!

Answers

3
You might want to check the school system in Plainfield though, since you said you have two small children.
I've lived in Plainfield for 17 years - previously lived in Queens, NY. I used to live not far from the location you mentioned - lived on Pemberton Ave off of Grant, I now live close to Muhlenberg Hospital. Plainfield has its problems like anywhere else, but overall its's a nice town. It has great housing. The downtown needs a better selection of stores. There's nothing wrong with 7th & Grant Avenue but you should drive through the entire town before you make your final decision. Drive down Grant, Stelle, Sherman, Plainfield Ave, Woodland Ave, Kensington, Watchung, Leyland, the Eastside of 7th. Pemberton Ave thru Cedarbrook Park, any of the streets off Kensington or Woodland. They should give you some idea of what the town looks like. Quite often the people who complain the most about Plainfield don't live in Plainfield. If your children are of school age, the schools are okay up to middle school, but parents who can afford it send their kids to Union Catholic High in Scotch Plains or Bishop Ahr in Edison. Many times I've walked past homes or cars with their doors and windows open and no one breaks into them. There are 2 Plainfields - the small part where the bad things happen and the majority of the town that is nice and safe.

Good luck with your decision.
Hello Nester,
I don't live in Plainfield but there are online resources you can use, intelius.com tells gives you property and neighborhood reports and i-neighbors.org is an actual forum you can join and ask questions about the neighborhood you will be moving to. Good luck!