Anyone here has a recommendation on a good home warranty company?

Asked by Dangelo Jones, Bowie, MD Sun Aug 24, 2008

I know some are KNOWN to avoid paying legit claims and we need to avoid those.

We are Maryland buyers! Thanks

Answers

15
Fred, Both Buyer And Seller, Florida
Sun Aug 24, 2008
Home Warranty of America they provide 13 mo instead of 12
rmccuem@hwahomewarranty.com
reasonable rates go for the Diamond Plan we did with no regrets
ray9836, Home Buyer, Roseville, CA
Fri May 3, 2013
I have recently purchased a home and had Old republic home warranty. Old rep doesnt expect to pay for services and tries to find all kinds of reasons to decline the services. At this time of year (90+ degrees_ they leave the customer without AC.
A rip off.
Avoid Old Republic
Aaron, , Austin, TX
Tue May 12, 2009
You can listen to everyone on here. Or, you can do yourself a favor and just google reviews of the companies. Some have said they had great service from HWA. We have them. Been out 7 times for the HVAC. Last time cost US $435. Did I mention that it took 5 days for them to complete this $435 claim. No AC for 5 days in the heart of Texas.

This should be proof enough. Know this thread is old, but great info is never antiquated.

http://www.homewarrantyreviews.com/reviews/home-warranty-of-…
Unknown, , BALTIMROE,MD
Sun Mar 1, 2009
AMERICAN HOME SHIELD...I HAVE THEM. THEY ARE GREAT WHEN THEY ARE GREAT, BUT TERRIBLE WITH FOLLOWUP AND MONITORING OF THEIR SERVICE PROVIDERS. BUT, I HAVE HAD SOME GOOD REPRESENTATIVES WHO WERE VERY HELPFUL. SO IT DEPENDS ON WHO IS HELPING CUSTOMERS WHEN YOU CALL FOR SERVICE. I HAVE FOUND THAT IN MOST CASES IT IS THE CONTRACTORS WHO ARE NOT GREAT WITH CUSTOMERS OF AHS, AND THAT'S WHEN THE BATTLE BEGINS.
Yeah, also when the contractor or service person walks in the door, ask them for their license! Many do not have the required state license to perform repairs! BEING LICENSED IS THE LAW. If you're unsure, check the persons name with the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation. And remember, a person holding an Apprentice License is NOT legal to work alone. They must be working under a Journeyman who is licensed, or a Master Technician at all times. Check this out. It is the law and many of the home warranty co's send out unlicensed technicians!
Flag Tue Apr 3, 2012
Warr44, Home Buyer, Bowie, MD
Sun Jun 5, 2016
I've had 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty on my personal home and they've covered many claims - helping me to save significantly on my out-of-pocket costs. Great company, been around for over 35 years and they also cover new construction homes. Would highly recommend them to my friends and family!
Skinsfan, Home Buyer, Bowie, MD
Sat Jun 4, 2016
I would never use Choice Home Warranty. Very poor customer service. Up to 48 hours to find a contractor to fix your problem.

American Home Shield is very good, but expensive and go up every year, contract and service fee. I had them for 15 years and was always pleased. I cancelled because I'm on a fixed income now and it became a bit expensive for me.

I'm looking, too, and may try Select Home Warranty but will look up the one below to compare.
ray9836, Home Buyer, Roseville, CA
Fri May 3, 2013
A rip off.
Avoid Old Republic
Akil Walker, Agent, Upper Marlboro, MD
Wed Nov 9, 2011
HMS is a very good warranty for both buyer and sellers.
Scammer! This real estate agent makes a commission for recommending this home warranty! And has the nerve to give you the link from his account -so he can receive the commission from his self advertising! SHAME ON YOU AKIL. You should remove this spam post.
I hope someone reports this spam to your Broker or your State's Real Estate Commission!!!
Flag Tue Apr 3, 2012
Brian Hawkins, Home Buyer, Belleville, MI USA
Sat Sep 27, 2008
Hi Dangelo,

You can listen to these Real Estate agents using these warranties to sell houses or you can do yourself a favor and do a quick Google search. First American Home warranty alone has thousands of complaints. They have had 1165 complaints filed with the BBB. They have 110 complaints on Complaints.com, 9 on ComplaintsBoard.com,21 complaints on RipOffReport.com and have been featured on Problem Solvers! FirstAmericanRipOff.com has an entire site dedicated to warning potential victims of this company before they make a big mistake.

If your you're willing to sell your sole to get sales then by all means recommend the devil. If you want to recommend a decent service to your clients then you owe them a little due diligence. Do your research and act responsibly.
janet garint…, Agent, Bel AIr, MD
Mon Aug 25, 2008
Hi Dangelo, I would also recommend Home Warranty of America they do offer 13 month coverage and also have a 13 seer upgrade for your HVAC system if you end up having a problem...depending on the age of your home that could be a huge plus...if you need help ordering I would be happy to help with numbers...best wishes!
Debbie Starn…, Agent, Winston Salem, NC
Mon Aug 25, 2008
Hi Dangelo:

I highly recommend American Home Shield Warranty. My clients have been very satisfied.
Best Wishes,
Debbie
Dangelo Jones, Home Buyer, Bowie, MD
Mon Aug 25, 2008
Thanks guys! The Realtors on this site are a very helpful.
Leonardo Mon…, Agent, Rancho Mirage, CA
Sun Aug 24, 2008
Hi Dangelo,

Here in California I have used First American Home warranty and so far all my clients have been happy with them.
Hope this helps.
Leonardo.
Web Reference:  http://www.leonardoteam.com
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Sun Aug 24, 2008
I also use American Home Shield. Highly recommend.
Sally Bolger, , Potomac, MD
Sun Aug 24, 2008
I have been recommending American Home Shield for 20 years, with no complaints. Whenever there has been something questionable, tey have always come through. I personnally use them as does my monther and sister. Good Luck!!
Web Reference:  http://www.sallybolger.com