Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

George, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with U build It or Help U Build? Comments?

Asked by George, San Antonio, TX Thu Feb 28, 2008

Answers

11
Sam’s answer
Help U Build and U build it are 2 different companies with no connection to each other. I hired Help U Build Inc. from Reseda, CA and they were very professional and reasonably priced. Their cabinetry work and granite is great. they are A rated with the BBB. I enclosed their web site.
The Ubuild it program is similiar to other owner builder programs but their fee seems to be higher. I found http://www.texasbuildatcost, they offer the same service for a lot less.
http://www.txbuildatcost.com/
Flag Sun Mar 8, 2015
I paid $3000 but they will not return it after I decided not to use them .
So be careful before you give them any money ! The gentleman there
Do your research 1st and get bids from other custom builders . Biggest problem is
what if you have a problem with one of the subcontractors ? How much responsibility will
Ubuilit assume if something goes wrong ?
I am now using Janus Custom Homes ( mom is president and her 3 children all work with her )
They are very detailed and once you ask them something they will remember and do exactly what you want. The subs they use have been working with them for many years so there is trust and reliability
and excellent workmanship and so so glad I used them . Because if you have a problem with one of the subs not getting paid for example they can put a lean against your new home and then your in big trouble . You will need a lawyer that specializes in construction if you use someone you dont even know but you can tell this wont be the problem with Janus Potter (Janus custom homes)
I've talked to 3-4 different people and they all highly recommend using Janus Custom Homes so that is why I got them to just give me a bid. Then the relationship progressed from there.

If your not familiar with construction then better not use UBUILDIT .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 12, 2014
If you work with experienced construction teams you can build your home with confidence and with one superintendent that follow your lead. Please speak with multiple builders to get a feel for what personality fits your needs. Some people choose companies like Ubuildit because they want to be involved in the building process and control costs. You can achieve this a variety of ways.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 17, 2014
The best place to find out would be the BBB in San Antonio. You can also check the Texas Real Estate Commision Web site. You can look up agents and brokerages by name or license number and see if there are any complaints. I also recommend that you try Angies List and see if there have been any consumer comments or evaluations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2008
DIYCUSTOMHOMES.COM has the same concept but done with integrity and honesty. We were very happy with there services and experience of their sub contractors and vendors! Look them up, we hjave 25% equity in our new custom home.
I had a horrilbe experience with the UBuildit in Greenville, SC - the "builder" was Robert Raditz. His quote was under estimated, and several huge errors occured during construction - to the point I had to fire Robert Raditz and Ubuildit. The house was to have 10 ft ceilings downstairs -they only put in 9 fts ceilings - it wasn't discovered until the second floor construction began - forcing us to tear off the upper floor and add a foot to the lower floor. The plan call for a 16 X 16 deck off the back about 10 feet in the air. It was totally left off the quote. When I asked Robert Raditz what type of shelving he quoted in the closets - he told me to look at the quote. Guess what - yea - he omitted all shelving. I went with a less expensive brick per the quote - but he under estimated the number of bricks - removing any savings. The house had foundation issues, ventalation issue in the crawl space. One day I notice standing water in the basement. I asked Robert what was the problem and fix? He said we could cut a hole in the basement slab and put in a sump pump. (I planned on finishing the basement one day). Robert's solutions was stupid - it was like buying a new car that had a leaking roof - Robert would have recommend you to cut a hole in the floor of the car. I was able to correct the problem with basement myself (and I'm not a "builder") I would not recommend Robert Raditz and/or Ubuildit to build a dog house.
Frustrating experience with UBI Indianapolis. The principals are charming, do a great job of eliciting trust, I would even say creative.

BUT, the experience of countless broken promises, failed completion dates. We had six "completion dates" and after 20 months they lost interest in our job and "walked off the job".

We purchased what they called their "premium plus" program where they were to supervise subcontractors. Never happened. One example, the plumber that they assured us was the "best" for our custom home made so many mistakes that we calculated that we had to pay an additional $1.62 for every dollar we paid the plumber to correct errors.

No remorse whatsoever from UBI. After a bout of weeks, not heeding my wife beefing them to finish the new custom home, and her not receiving the dignity of a return phone call or text, I hired another company to finish building our house. We just moved in four days ago after 25 months of misery working with this outfit. They have found another victim in us. Please don't allow yourself to fall prey to their over promises - under performance. Integrity has to be questioned about any firm that wears their religion on their sleeve and yes works the religious community to find their victims and then deceives and outright lies to customers. Whenever I had an issue with these guys, they always blamed someone else, never accepting responsibility for their own incompetence.

May God have mercy on their souls.
Same dealings with this company in Florida. Paid them their fees and did not receive cost breakdown or quality subs. This company is a scam. I paid them their entire fees and did not hear from them again after my framing went up. i agree that you must ask for the contract upfront and take it to an attorney to review before signing. What they tell you and what you get is compledtely different. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!
You do not get your money's worth with UBuildIt. Read their contract CAREFULLY. They pretty much absolve themselves from any mistakes they may make. They will hound you every month until 90% of their fee is paid and then you do not hear from them until the end of your project. They do exactly what they say they'll do in their contract which is basically..we'll sit on our brass until you contact us. We will not call you or check on your project unless you call us. They emphasize "cheapness" at the sacrifice of quality. We built a million dollar home using the franchise in Savannah,Ga and never saw or heard from them after the framing inspection until after we had moved in and they still have the balls to ask us for the last 10%. We only used 2 of their subs. The rest we found on our own and UBuildIt started using them on other projects.Other neighbors using UBuildIt are also equally dissatisfied. Hopefully all franchisees are not this lame. Good luck and remember...you CAN do it alone without their help. I read many books on being an owner/builder and seemed to know more than my consultant. Unfortunately I did not realize this until several weeks AFTER I had signed the contract.
George,

I had clients that bought land w/ us and then decided to use U Build It. As from what I've been told, they are not that unhappy. Alot more work than they were expecting, but none the less.. it seems to be working out.
Web Reference: http://www.exposedhomes.com